Michael Jones vs Kent Hovind

It’s that sort of inflexible mindset which led Bart Ehrman to become an atheist/agnostic after supposedly being a fundamentalist Christian.

Matthew 5:30 King James Version (KJV)

30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

1 Like

Ohhhhh…thanks. I am sorry I forgot! I was thinking of all the Old Testament illnesses I could. Yes, I guess that fits if one were really literal, though I think that Hovind would think carpal tunnel would not throw you into Hell. But you are right that it is a matter of degrees. It’s a good illustration. I have to laugh at the obscure passages I was trying to think of! Thanks.

1 Like

@Ronald_Myers

And what does Accordance have that the BlueLetter Bible doesn’t have?

Way too literal, but it does make you wonder how people have no problem at all recognizing this as allegorical, but talking snakes as literal. Oh well, gotta love 'em.

2 Likes

I looked at the BlueLetter Bible and ran through some of the tutorials.

1. the BLB defaults to the KJV so I was constantly choosing NIV. Accordance uses my last choice
  2. Parallel translations appear in side by side panes in Accordance
  3. In the parallel panes one can put in a Hebrew or Greek text and highlight the work on one translation and see it highlighted in the other and from there get the work meaning and the part of speech.
  4. the Hebrew and Greek texts can be searched
  5. Searching is a bit more powerful but one needs to pay more attention to the syntax
  6. It is installed on one computer so one can work offline
    On the negative side
    A) Cross translation searching is easier in the BLB
    B) Accordance is some what harder to use because the options are generous.
    C) Accordance is not free, Once can choose the translations and resources one would like to have but more resources costs more money

Overall it looks like the BLB is a good start and perhaps all that most will ever need since it has access to the Greek and Hebrew and to the word form used (verb, active passive etc)
Another use for the BLB is in online discussions with YEC types, referring to the BLB as a common, acceptable reference may help. It may be a portal out of YECdom.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.