Meditating on Nature

Matthew 6:25-30 New American Standard Bible

The Cure for Anxiety
25 “For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? 27 And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? 28 And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, 29 yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!

One things I’ve noticed while reading through scripture is that nature comes up a lot. Sure some of it is a byproduct of living in a world more in tune with nature and living off the land more than the recent major urbanization for many countries but some of it seems to encourage people to dig a little deeper into creation and learning from it.

To me these verses seem to do just that. So I was wondering what was some of the lessons and realizations and encouragement y’all get from meditating on the flora and fauna , and even non living things concerning geography. Just the little realizations people have came to.

2 Likes

I think the cycles of renewal that are such a part of seasons are a great picture of the hope of redemption. Life comes from death. Spring follows winter.

My friend Catherine’s book is full of these kind of meditations, if you are interested.

2 Likes

Simply planting a garden can be an exercise in worship and meditation on God. The placing of a seed in the ground reminds me of the parables of Jesus regarding planting, whether be it the scattering of seed on hard ground vs. fertile soil ( I seem to always have thorns and weeds) or the mustard seed story. The soil reminds us of our origin and our fate. But most of all, planting reminds us of our hope for what that little seed might produce, and the potential contained in the life in its heart.

2 Likes

Thanks and I’ll definitely read it after work.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.