Marching Against Stereotypes in the March For Science: My Story

A skeptical conservative Christian attends the March for Science and reports on his experience.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://biologos.org/blogs/guest/marching-against-stereotypes-in-the-march-for-science-my-story
1 Like

Beautiful words!!!

"To be more accurate, I was marching in support of an endeavor that German astronomer Johannes Kepler allegedly called, “thinking God’s thoughts after Him.”

“I was marching because the more I learn and understand about His awesome creation, the closer to God I feel. For me, science is a form of liturgy. When I marched for science that Saturday—to paraphrase Olympian Eric Liddell—I felt God’s pleasure.”

From the organizer’s website: “People who value science have remained silent for far too long in the face of policies that ignore scientific evidence and endanger both human life and the future of our world. New policies threaten to further restrict scientists’ ability to research and communicate their findings.”

I assumed I would hear more about these policies that threaten life and the future of the world. However, apparently they weren’t able to provide any more detail than that on their website which is disappointing considering the apparent stakes. Or am I missing something on the website? I see other calls to action: “Start or join a science-themed book club on Meetup. Or, check out National Council for Science and the Environment (NCSE)’s toolkit for planning a teach-in in your area”.

I also see: “Invite your friends over or stay-in with your loved ones and make it a game night, science-style. Try your hand at “Phylo” a card game that dives into the wonders of biodiversity. Host a beginner’s hack-a-thon with MIT’s Scratch. Or try one of the other incredible science-inspired board or video games in our list below!”

@Doug_Bodde

I think it is safe to say that two of the categories of policies many of these folks are concerned about are:

1. Environmental Policies in general, that regulate what is released into the air and water; and

2. Energy Policies that can either encourage or discourage the release of CO2.

Let me know if you are not sure where to get more information on either. I myself am a strong proponent for having a NASA-like coordination and support of private sector firms to develop low-cost alternatives to using fossil fuels. Such a program would lead to:

1. Improving the skillsets of American labor;
  2. Help establish American dominance in the global energy market;
  3. Increase employment in more technical job markets; and
  4. Create alternatives to fossil fuels that are globally irresistible because of affordability, rather than due to laws and regulations.

Thanks, George. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@MikeBeidler

Mike,

I made this just for you … when just the right images fall in to my hands… I can feel the leading…

Readers, be sure to click on the image - - if you have a gloriously large monitor ! ~ George B.

2 Likes

Wow, @gbrooks9! That’s very cool! I’ll definitely need to download that! :slight_smile:

(Sorry for the belated response, as I’m just now seeing this!)

1 Like

@MikeBeidler

I figured you’d stumble into it sooner or later … let me know if you need the “source” for the painting… it was some up-scale art show… not in the streets … but in formal spaces…