Magazine Subscriptions

Does anyone here subscribe to any magazines relating to science and/or faith that they’d like to recommend? I’m old fashioned and like physical copies but digital is fine too.

I remember my parents and grandparents keeping stacks of National Geographic in the basement. I grew up getting the Answers in Genesis magazine but wouldn’t be interested in it now. So at this point we only get kids ones – Ask is a nice one for elementary science topics, and we get Scholastic News for school. But I’ve thought of getting a grown-up one too. Maybe Popular Science or Scientific American. Even if they’re over my head, that’s not always a bad thing.

1 Like

We get Christianity Today, National Geographic, Ranger Rick, and Focus on the Family Clubhouse. I just subscribed to Boys’ Life but had not had it for decades before. You have to take Clubhouse with a grain of salt in regard to science. CT is really quite good scientifically lately.

1 Like

Ooh, I’d almost forgotten about Clubhouse. I got that as a kid and Clubhouse Jr. when I was younger. Do they typically cover scientific topics? I don’t remember much of that but I’m sure they’ve changed a fair amount over the decades.

No they don’t cover much in science…at least what I have read.
there was a short blurb on creationism in one issue, I think–but it wasn’t long. My kids sell magazines at fundraisers to get Scholastic books and raise money for their school. I think they generally have Time Magazine, etc, but I don’t read those much. My mom is the one who gets the kids’ magazines.

We have gotten Popular Mechanics recently, and my boys like it. However, it’s full of ads–especially for whiskey! I’m not thrilled–but we talk about the articles and ads. My grandpa introduced me to it at one point, but it had fewer ads at the time.

I get CT. They have a science editor, Rebecca Randall, who does a nice job.

They have trying to develop more science/faith content.

3 Likes

Christians In Science (CIS) here in the UK, and the American Scientific Affiliation (ASA) publish a joint online magazine called God & Nature. I’ve never read it, but your post reminded me to check if they had a magazine or journal and they do! I’ll be checking it out too!

5 Likes

I think @Sy_Garte is the editor in chief.

3 Likes

@Christy:
And yes, you are correct !!!

@Sy_Garte, nice looking pages!

1 Like

And I’m a contributor, as well as quite a few BioLogos authors.

1 Like

For science I’d recommend Scientific American and Natural History.

3 Likes

For journals relating to science and faith, it would be difficult to beat “Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith”, published quarterly by the American Scientific Affiliation. Print editions are included in membership, and all except the most recent two or three issues out of the past seventy years’ worth are available online at Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith - American Scientific Affiliation

5 Likes

This is great, thanks!