Linguistics article

I was reading the lastest ASA journal, Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith, and glanced up to see who wrote the article to see a familiar name and face! Congratulations Christy on an article well done! I’ll need to reread it a few times to grasp some of the concepts, but is quite interesting.

6 Likes

Why, thank you!It was inspired by all the conversations here where I have argued with people about how arguing about the meaning of the word ‘day’ in Genesis is irrelevant. (But this time, with citations. :wink: )

And now with this under my belt, hopefully all the cool ASA kids will let me sit at their lunch table at the next BioLogos conference. :sandwich: :nerd_face:

8 Likes

Congratulations. More justification of my high esteem for your skills and insight.

But who are those ASA kids and why won’t they let you sit with them? Surely they’re not all members of the American Society of Anesthesiologists?

1 Like

In this context, the ASA is the American Scientific Affiliation, which is a professional organization of scientists who are Christians. I’m sure at least a couple are anesthesiologists too.

That makes much more sense. The other is the first thing google showed me.

If anybody else wants to partake but doesn’t get the PSCF journal [Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith - the ASA publication], you can access Christy’s article online here.

[Sorry - I guess that link was just a 1st page teaser - you do need an ASA account to see the whole article.]

Not until you get a website. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Great piece! Finally, we can reference you every time someone brings up “yom” for the thousandth time.

1 Like

Enjoyed learning about “conceptual metaphors.” It really makes sense that God is speaking to us in Genesis 1 in a way that we can relate. The ideal of “creation is (God’s) work” would be interesting to explore. We often speak of the “works” of God, and talk of God “working” in our life," but to consider God “going to work” is probably a bit difficult to grasp as our view is sullied by the curse of sin, making work seem less noble, though we see work as something God values and encourages throughout scripture. We allow work to be an means to an end, and the end is often more associated with consumerism, power and advancement in worldly terms than laboring in the vineyard for the Lord.

1 Like

Me too! Sometimes I am well-aware that the things that are interesting to me are not all that interesting to other people, but I think with this one, there is some mass appeal. I wrote this ASA article because I got distracted while writing a different paper on conceptual metaphors for the Bible translation conference in Dallas in October. Once you start thinking about them, they are everywhere and a very useful tool for talking about figurative meaning. @Jay313 found a cool one in Genesis 2-3, something along the lines of MORAL AWARENESS is COMING OF AGE.

1 Like

I like how you put it! Of course, I didn’t realize that “conceptual metaphor” was even a thing until you shared an early version of your paper with me. Doh! I suppose now is as good a time as any to let people take a look at where I’m going with it. My long-rumored website is now live! This week is a “soft opening” for friends and family, since I’m still waiting on Apple Tunes to approve my podcast feed. Thanks for all your assistance and encouragement! Above and beyond as always, my friend.

becomingadam.com

4 Likes

My stepson just sent me a link to a Fb page called Writing About Writing that might be of interest while thinking about metaphors. There is a post there on malaphors, defined as a blending of idioms or cliches, that is a riot. Some favorites:

Common but still fun: “We’ll burn that bridge when we get to it” and “It’s not rocket surgery.”

Simple but fun: “Not the sharpest egg in the drawer” and “Until the cows freeze over.”

And one which could be of use to this site’s moderators: “You’ve opened that can of worms, now lie in it.”

2 Likes

Love that one. I’m sure someone could write a nerdy linguistic paper on the mental processing of mixed metaphors using Eve Sweetser’s research on mental space and conceptual blending and the construction of non-compositional meaning.

1 Like

We could even turn it around to suggest “some worms are better left canned”.

1 Like

Does anyone besides us ol’ folk know about Tom Swifties? There is a good massive collection at Writing about Writing!