Life group book suggestions?

I’m running a 5 week Science and Faith Life Group in my church (in the UK). I would like to give them a good book list, not necessarily all from BioLogos! They are a mixture of people with some interest in science, and some engineers and a doctor. They range from YEC to EC. So I would love your suggestions. Please give the book title and author, plus a very brief description of why it might be interesting.

Thanks!

Indescribable by Louie Giglio and Matt Redman appeals to a lot of people. Astronomer Jennifer Wiseman wrote the forward, so that gives the book some science street cred. But I don’t think anything in it would make YEC people uncomfortable. It’s more about seeing the glory of God in the hugeness and beauty of the universe.

1 Like

You Brits must be much more avid readers across the Pond… I can’t imagine any 5-week group in America getting a “book list” (not just a book) unless it was a college course! :slight_smile:

Would you like chapter recommendations, so people don’t have to read entire books?

With that in mind, I wondered if someone who has read The Lost World of Genesis One (by John Walton) could weigh in to suggest perhaps a chapter or two in it? That seems to be the go-to book around here to understand Genesis in its historical context. The benefit of it, of course, is that you don’t have to haggle over the details of the science. If people can get a vision for what the Scripture was intended to mean to its original audience, then it undercuts the whole premise of the debate! And Walton, being a professor at Evangelical flagship university Wheaton College, has the Evangelical bona fides that many will need in order to trust him.

3 Likes

I recommend Questions of Truth by John Polkinghorne and his former student Nicholas Beale. There’s plenty of material for fruitful discussion.

2 Likes

I’ll also throw in Celebrating the Universe by James Mullaney. He’s an astronomer and provides a very intriguing discussion on the different constellations, stars, solar systems, galaxies, etc, and how we can directly watch our beautiful universe for ourselves on our own free time in the art of stargazing! It also has many invaluable resources.

2 Likes

I really thought “The Language of God” by Dr. Francis Collins (the former head of the Human Genome Project) presented scientific evidence from the perspective of a person of faith. He is the one who came up with the term “BioLogos”.

2 Likes