The latest thing I’m seeing on Facebook:
This week the CDC quietly updated the Covid number to admit that only 6% of all the 153,504 deaths recorded actually died from Covid.
That’s 9,210 deaths.
The other 94% had 2 to 3 other serious illnesses and the overwhelming majority were of very advanced age; 90% in nursing homes.
That’s a pretty big BOOM.
I tried to explain that this is not shocking and the CDC is not “admitting” anything they haven’t been telling us all along. The people most likely to die of COVID-19 are the elderly and people with complicating conditions (which affect 41% of Americans, by the way). Also, headlines that say "Only 6% of the XXX,XXX deaths are related to COVID-19" are wrong. The fact that it is the singular contributing cause of death in 6% of cases does not make it not the contributing cause of death in the other 94%. If there was a bus accident with 8 fatalities, and 3 of them were over 80, and one had stage 4 cancer, and two had diabetes and heart disease, one was obese, and one was a healthy 25 year old, you don’t get to say only 1 person really died in the bus accident. That’s ludicrous. Even if some of those health conditions probably made the people who died less likely to survive the physical trauma of the accident.