Last Month's Review by Thomas McCall: The Surprising Theology of Universal Ancestry

A good quote from the article:

“I am grateful for S. Joshua Swamidass’s new book. I think that The Genealogical Adam and Eve: The Surprising Science of Universal Ancestry makes a contribution to the discussion that is both important and timely. It is not often that a new book actually breaks new ground; most end up turning the same soil and then might make minimal or modest contributions to the debates.”

“But the proposal of this book (hereafter GAE) is different: it offers a novel way of looking at a familiar issue. In doing so, it opens the frontier on several important theological issues. It does not, of course, wrap things up neatly and surely will not bring finality or conclusions to the discussions and debates. But it changes those discussions and debates, and it does so in ways that are truly significant.”

I neglected to provide the direct link to the article of the series:

This was a particularly compelling paragraph:

“Eager to keep up with science, biblical scholars and theologians have been willing to make fairly radical changes to Christian doctrine, and they have done so rather quickly. It turns out, in light of Swamidass’s work, that these revisions were done rather too quickly.”

“At the same time, many “conservative” biblical scholars and theologians have been willing to reject an evolutionary account on the grounds that it is inconsistent with belief in a historical Adam and Eve. It turns out, in light of this book, that perhaps those rejections were also a bit too hasty.”

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.