Joshua wrote in the book of the Law?

Joshua 24:26-27

“So Joshua made a covenant with the people that day, and made statutes and ordinances for them at Shechem.26
And Joshua wrote these words in the book of the law of God; and he took a great stone, and set it up there under the oak that was by the sanctuary of the LORD.27”

Doesn’t this clearly state that the Book of the Law was not all written by Moses, if Joshua saw no reason not to add additional laws (or other writings) to it?

I’ve been reading with great interest lately an old book Who Wrote the Bible (not to be confused with the newer book of the same name) and this chapter goes over most of the evidence from within the Bible that Moses didn’t write the whole Pentateuch.

It goes on to explain that some of the other laws are more clearly meant for an ‘in the wilderness’ setting. Very interesting reading (some reviews I read said it was outdated but the Old Testament section was much less outdated than the New. I’ll maybe have to go find the modern one…)

Anyway, is this proof that Moses isn’t the (sole) author of the Pentateuch coming from a ‘plain reading’ of the Bible?

There’s no legitimate reason (outside of tradition) to suggest that Moses wrote the Pentateuch. The Bible doesn’t even say that Moses wrote the Pentateuch…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.