Josh Swamidass just launched a new forum!

Many of you know that Josh @Swamidass runs a blog called “Peaceful Science” where he discusses his ideas. Recently, he decided to open comments at his site, and is inviting everyone here to join his new discussion forum. For those that are interested in Josh’s ideas about faith, science, human origins, and the Bible, I recommend joining the discussion there :point_down:

Peaceful Science Forum

(If Josh's forum looks familiar, it's because he uses the same Discourse software as here)

5 Likes

Cool! :sunglasses: I’ll check it out.

2 Likes

It is very kind of @BradKramer to note this. Thank you.

If you do hope to join us in this endeavor, you might want to engage deeper on @Jon_Garvey’s phenomenal series on Genesis, in which he reviews Seth Postells work. This was about as paradigm shifting for me as reading @JohnWalton’s introduction to ANE. I’d be curious how you all think of the “compositional” view of Genesis. The Genealogical Adam as Israel - Peaceful Science

Please do not see this as a competition with the forum here, but a supplement. Perhaps we might be able to attract a crowd unwilling to trust BioLogos? At the moment, the moderators include myself (who affirms evolution) and also @J.E.S, who many of you know from here. He is a young earth creationist. There is an excellent mobile app that can track multiple discourse forums at once.

And you can also be sure I will still be around here. Peace.

4 Likes

Although your name alone made me immediately interested in this new forum, I have to be blunt and say that the idea of a forum co-moderated by a YEC is a strong deterrent.

1 Like

@Jonathan_Burke, thanks for the kind words.

I understand your concerns, but give it a chance. Imagine the barriers that YECs might have to overcome to participate on this forum too. A YEC moderator is an attempt to give them a trusted representative with power on the forums.

This is, admittedly, an experiment. I am testing a hypothesis, that it is possible to build real communities with sustained engagement that are not not contingent on agreement on origins. That is my belief, because I find the community we find in Jesus greater than our disagreements. I hope you will, at some point or another, give it a shot because I think you have a lot to add to the conversation.

I asked @J.E.S to play this role because I was impressed with how he runs www.ce-debate.org, and how he had been treating @cwhenderson and myself. As @cwhenderson can attest, he has been fair and kind to us, even when we are outnumbered by YECs. Ultimately, I am the admin at http://discourse.peacefulscience.org though, so no shenanigans will be tolerated, though I do not expect this from him.

Let’s see what it could be like to invite more people into the conversation. It could be fun!

2 Likes

@Swamidass,

I would hope! [quote=“Swamidass, post:6, topic:37364”]
Imagine the barriers that YECs might have to overcome to participate on this forum too.
[/quote]

He he he…[quote=“Swamidass, post:6, topic:37364”]
This is, admittedly, an experiment. I am testing a hypothesis, that it is possible to build real communities with sustained engagement that are not not contingent on agreement on origins. That is my belief, because I find the community we find in Jesus greater than our disagreements. I hope you will, at some point or another, give it a shot because I think you have a lot to add to the conversation.
[/quote]

I find this concept interesting. My main goal at www.ce-debate.org is to encourage intelligent discussion about origins…Swamidass’s idea is intriguing, but, as he said, it is an experiment. It may well take a delicate balancing act to pull it off, but we shall see where it goes from here!

1 Like

I completely agree with Josh on this. Not only has JES been gracious and considerate, the other YEC participants in his forum have also been patient, thoughtful and kind. My dream of a future in Christianity is one in which YEC/OEC/EC can all have thoughtful discourse together – without YEC assuming all EC are heretics (or on the “slippery slope”) and without EC assuming all YEC as willingly ignorant bumpkins.

5 Likes

Good luck with your endeavour, Josh.

2 Likes

@Swamidass

I have yet to be able to access it… my work seems to be blocking this URL, but doesn’t block the BioLogos URL?

1 Like

Try this link: https://discourse.peacefulscience.org

@Swamidass, thank you for the assist.

And I get this error:

The webpage at https://discourse.peacefulscience.org/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.