Job and Dinosaurs

Apparently we’re not supposed to read the New Testament…

2 Likes

Say what?!!?

Adam, the fact that some parts of the Bible are intended to be read metaphorically rather than literally is the point.

It’s good that you’re acknowledging that metaphorical language in the Bible is a thing, but you need to explain to us why you accept metaphorical interpretations when talking about the shape of the earth but not when talking about the age of the earth. What is the difference between the two?

5 Likes

A good point. Roman Catholics are expected to attend mass at least once a week. It’s part of their faith. Usually they go on Sunday, but a Saturday service fulfills their obligation.

3 Likes

Dance, Adam, Dance! Faster, faster! You really need a better shovel. (And I still think you might be messing with us.)

3 Likes

a reply that came so fast it demonstrates no interest in following the lead of the Bereans. A real shame.

You don’t even know the Bible!

Just a reminder to stay focused on discussing the topic at hand, please. The purpose of discussion here is not to pass judgment on other people’s faith or to attribute motivations to others.

3 Likes

All theology/interpretation of any biblical text must also be consistent with objective reality. Yes, there are times when God asks us to have faith for things that we do not see (Hebrews 11:1), but there is nowhere in the Bible that tells us that we must deny the reality of the things that we do see.

That is why we view the verses that apparently talk about the earth as being flat and covered by a solid dome as metaphorical rather than literal. It is why we view the verses that talk about the trees of the fields clapping their hands as metaphorical, or about the earth having “ends” as metaphorical, and so on and so forth. It is also why we we view the verses that talk about six days of creation as metaphorical rather than literal as well. It is because these are verses where a literal reading is contradicted by hard, objective reality.

6 Likes

Given your complete non response to scripture which has been referenced in this thread, in regard to behemoth, leviathan, and ANE cosmology, you do not seem to be in a position to lecture on Biblical interpretation.

5 Likes

Please go back and READ Jeremiah Chapter 31:31-34

It is very obvious that the Israelites knew of this covenant hundreds of Years before Christ. Jeremiah lived about the same time as the prophet Daniel who was taken into captivity by Nebuchadnezzar.

Question: why did God give a new covenant to the Israelites? What went wrong with the old one? (the answer is contained in the passage quoted btw)

you keep harping on about this…you have been given reference after reference after reference and yet you still keep wallowing in this boghole. Stop posting unsuported garbage in an attempt to apparently provide reference and credibility to your question. I have already answered this so many times and yet you keep ignoring the answers. (you should have noticed by now that this has been my standard answer to this same question a few times now)

6 posts were split to a new topic: What is the relationship of social justice to Christianity?

You aren’t engaging with anybody or anything. I don’t want to talk to a bot. I hate it when I can’t get a real person on the phone. I don’t want to hear the menu options again, and I’m tired of saying “speak to an agent.”

Hahaha! We are blessed with excellent theology classes in church every week, and extended theology lectures several times a year. Our new theologian-in-residence is a former Catholic who has taught theology in France and at the Pontifical University of St Anselm in Rome. I’m loving it!

2 Likes

[content removed by moderator]

If you get a spare minute might i suggest you read up on Samuel Bacchiochi. You might be suprisedto know he was an SDA(passed away in 2008) who was given access to study his doctorate at thepontifical university in Rome and wrote about the problems in catholocism titled “From Sabbath to Sunday” that focuses on the Roman Catholic Church and changing the Sabbath to Sunday…much to the dismay of the papacy in Rome!

[content removed]

Who cares? Catholics are permitted to attend mass on Saturday to fulfill their weekly obligation. My own Episcopal church has masses other than Sunday, including Saturday.

At the end of the day, nobody gives a rip if you go to church on Saturday. Just don’t tell us when we should go. [content removed]

1 Like

For Pete’s sake … if its tail swayed like a “cedar” then it obviously had a huge tail. Your hippopotamus doesn’t fit … it has a tiny tail.

Job 41 describes a fire- breathing monster … your hippopotamus doesn’t fit.

1 Like

My understanding is that the Sunday Sabbath begins at sunset on Saturday (as per the Jewish custom), so that is why attending Mass on Saturday evening (as I usually do) counts as fulfilling the Sabbath obligation.

No, it’s only in Judaism and Islam where the day starts in the evening.

“The Church celebrates solemnities according to the laws of the Jewish Sabbath, which begins at nightfall of the previous day. Because nightfall changes with the seasons, the Church in the U.S. has generally considered 4 p.m. to be the start of “nightfall””