Jewish "Inerrancy": A spin-off from another thread

@St.Roymond and @Randy

• In my “Shroud” thread, I claimed:
  • Some may say that I should “eat my words”; perhaps you can bail me out.
  • Here are two articles that seem “germane to the topic” of Jewish versus Greek “Inerrancy”. Both, awkwardly, seem to be immediate *.pdf downloads:
  • I leave assessment of each article to you and others rather than give anyone “my spin”. However, in direct answer to St.Roymond’s comment, I offer this opening “Precise” of Jospe’s article:
    • “In this paper, by comparing a contemporary fundamentalist Jewish concept – Da`at Torah (“the Opinion of the Torah”) – with the Roman Catholic concept of papal infallibility and with the Evangelical Protestant concept of biblical inerrancy, I suggest that the Jewish concept has none of the built-in restrictions and limitations of the two Christian concepts.”
1 Like

Hi Terry, thanks for sharing your thoughts. As per the guideline revisions, can you please ensure that your topic has some overlap with science topics? I’ll give you some time to review the link and give it some thought. Otherwise, we can make it a PM and you can invite some folks you think might be interested to discuss. Cheers

1 Like
  • Not a problem. I almost made it PM myself, but thought I’d wave it around in public first to see who’s interested in the topic. Suspect not more than two or three.
1 Like

While there are certainly Jewish apologists who defend the OT the same way Christians do, my readings have shown that many Jews knew how to use scripture against itself. Jesus even does it with creation vs divorce and remarriage. Here is a snippet of something I wrote as part of a larger piece where the Bible corrects itself.

When one book of the canon corrects or disagrees with another part, I am not sure what it means to call it “inerrant” or how that is even reasonable. It seems the canon itself suggests a different model of inspiration. We might be wise to listen to it!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.