Consistent? @Eddie, isn’t it more fair to say that Tour is a willing ALLY to the Intelligent Design position? Below is a well-footnoted section of the Wiki article on Dr. Tour:
"In 2001, Tour signed the Discovery Institute’s “A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism”, a controversial petition which the intelligent design movement uses to promote intelligent design by attempting to cast doubt on evolution.[36][37] "
"To those who “are disconcerted or even angered that I signed a statement back in 2001” he responded “I have been labeled as an Intelligent Design (ID) proponent. I am not. I do not know how to use science to prove intelligent design although some others might.”
" I am sympathetic to the arguments on the matter and I find some of them intriguing, but the scientific proof is not there, in my opinion. So I prefer to be free of that ID label."[38]
"He had also said that he felt the explanations offered by evolution are incomplete, and he found it hard to believe that nature can produce the machinery of cells through random processes.[36] On his website, he writes that “From what I can see, microevolution is a fact” and “there is no argument regarding microevolution. The core of the debate for me, therefore, is the extrapolation of microevolution to macroevolution.”
FOOTNOTE 36:
Kenneth Chang (2006-02-21). “Few Biologists but Many Evangelicals Sign Anti-Evolution Petition”. The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-05-05.
FOOTNOTE 37:
“Signatories of ‘A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism’” (PDF). The Discovery Institute. April 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-05.
FOOTNOTE 38:
“Layman’s Reflections on Evolution and Creation. An Insider’s View of the Academy”
>>Tour’s Personal Comments on God and Creation<<
I think it would be fair to say that while Tour may not be your typical ID proponent, he clearly believes that Evolution could ONLY begin with God’s intervention. Wouldn’t you agree with that, Eddie?
This is where it gets awkward I guess. As I am quick to say say in my earlier postings… BioLogos and ID folks should NOT flee from the parts of their positions that are IN AGREEMENT!
BioLogos folks should accept that they think God directed evolution… while ID proponents SHOULD accept that God chose to work slowly in his creation through intervention in the evolution process.
And yet both sides agonize … the ID folks frequently can’t bring themselves to agree with Old Earth scenarios… and BioLogos folks frequently can’t bring themselves to say that only through God could unliving chemicals come together to make the first living things.
Alas.