Is this the end?

The only time nuclear weapons have been used in war they saved many more lives than they took.

It would have been very bad if the Cuban missile crisis had played out differently, but life would have gone on.

I surely do. Why do you mention it?

“In other words, you’re in a pretty bad fix at the present time,” LeMay said, almost taunting the president.

Kennedy had not heard or perhaps thought he had heard wrong. “What’d you say?” he asked matter-of-factly.

“I say, you’re in a pretty bad fix,” LeMay repeated.

“You’re in with me,” Kennedy replied with an acerbic laugh, “personally.”

The devastation would have been beyond our imagination. God was involved in preventing it.

Because we are on the brink of the real McCoy. It will be the complete destruction of everything we’ve known. It will go down very soon. It is unavoidable, I’m afraid.

It is this sort of glibness at the prospect of the destruction of humanity which makes many outside of Christianity refer to it as a death cult. I wonder what role Christianity will play in our downfall should it come to pass? And if it does come to pass and if God is anything like the Bible portrays, I wonder how your performance now and in the run up to that dark day will be judged.

Does anyone else see some irony in that phrasing? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Dont fret folks, the destruction of creation is God’s job. And no one has the power to change that or stop it.

2Pe 3:7 Now by that same word, the present heavens and earth have been reserved for fire and are being kept for the day when ungodly people will be judged and destroyed. 8 Don’t forget this fact, dear friends: With the Lord a single day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a single day. 9 The Lord is not slow about his promise, as some people understand slowness, but is being patient with you. He does not want anyone to perish, but wants everyone to repent. 10 But the Day of the Lord will come like a thief. On that day the heavens will disappear with a roaring sound, the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done on it will be exposed. 11 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, think of the kind of holy and godly people you ought to be 12 as you look forward to and hasten the coming of the day of God, when the heavens will be set ablaze and dissolved and the elements will melt with fire. 13 But in keeping with his promise, we are looking forward to new heavens and a new earth, where righteousness is at home.

Jesus is the sovereign ruler over all His creation, praise to the Father and to the Son.

Such prophecies have proved wrong so far.

Are you claiming prophetic gifts?

The end is near, but that is pretty normal for someone my age. If I make it 20 more years, I will be lucky. But, to live is Christ and to die is gain. I was a teenager when Late Great Planet Earth was popular. Total Hogwash. And 1984 was in the future. Maybe not so total hogwash. My advice to stop listening to the news.

2 Likes

He said many things had to come to pass first. They have. No, I’m not a prophet, but I can read the signs of the times. He may not return for a billion years, but He’s coming back. Signs point to this moment. With the push of a button we are history. Unless the Lord intervenes, there will be nothing left.

I know terrorists from the Middle East are patient. In the West we have no idea what patience is compared to them. They will never, ever, accept the nation of Israel in their midst. Impossible. And, while we slumber here in the West, more than enough fissile material is available to make thermonuclear bombs. Terrorism tactics haven’t worked. They are fashioning a weapon of mass destruction now to complete their assignment to destroy Israel and the West. Par for the course, the West assumes we quelched their ferosity because we haven’t heard much from them lately.

Many of us don’t think that.

Given a choice, sharing Christianity with them is better than killing them.

Have you considered that option?

I hadn’t thought about killing them.

What I am saying is that I think most of us who have looked at this believe that were Al-Qaeda (if not Al-Qaeda, many other terrorist groups qualify)* to succeed in manufacturing or otherwise acquiring a nuclear weapon and introducing it into an American city, it would not hesitate to detonate, so the first thing that’s different from 1985 is this kind of terrorism.

The second thing is –I have been talking about nuclear terrorism, not biological terrorism – I will say that in the model I’m most concerned about is our material availability and the construction of an improvised nuclear device that there is more nuclear material around these days than was around 30 or 25 years ago. So I think the threat is greater now than it was then. Robert L. Gallucci

• my note

a terrorist attack using a nuclear weapon would be extremely destructive, potentially killing hundreds of thousands of people and destroying miles of infrastructure. The resulting political, economic, and military effects would dwarf those of any past terror attacks. Many analysts believe that such an event is likely to occur. Graham Allison, for example, maintains “a betting person would have to” conclude that nuclear terrorism is “inevitable.” According to Anna M. Pluta and Peter D. Zimmerman, the threat of nuclear terrorism is so serious that “we should plan for its reality.” And Robert L. Gallucci argues that “more likely than not” terrorists “will detonate a nuclear weapon in a U.S. city within the next five to ten years.” Because a nuclear attack would be so destructive, the expected cost (damage × probability of occurrence) of nuclear terrorism is high, even if it is not likely to occur. States must therefore devise strategies to protect themselves against terrorists who somehow manage to arm themselves with nuclear weapons. Ideally, states would be able to deter nuclear terrorism. Deterrence would prevent terrorists from even trying to use nuclear weapons, thereby enabling Deterring Nuclear Terrorists. s. paul kapur

Your feeling may come from thinking the situation in Europe. As you noted, Christianity is growing elsewhere. I would say that it’s not a great wonder that in Europe, Christianity has lost credibility. The majority are nominal Christians but their life shows something else. I guess that in US, the situation is still better but going to the same direction. Just a guess.

If the life of ‘Christians’ does not witness of belief in Christ, the name becomes meaningless, even mockery. Europe is in a situation where we need either revival, missionaries from the south, or both. Maybe this is soon true throughout the northern hemisphere.

What happens in the future, during the bad times described in the Revelation, is not something we need to worry now. When Peter asked about the fate of John, Jesus answered ‘If I want him remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!’. What is important is to follow Jesus. God takes care of the rest.

I’m glad that you seem to put your trust in God. May God give you hope and comfort.

2 Likes

He is, but I struggle with pinpointing when suffering was greatest. There were terrible pandemics throughout the ages, as well. Pandemics That Changed History: Timeline - HISTORY

Until recently, the overall trend was to fewer famines than ever before; and vaccination may help that a lot.

Only God knows. In the meantime, we must be His hands and feet to those who are suffering. Good question. Thanks.

1 Like

I don’t judge the times by the amount of suffering or the depth of the pain people experience.
He lists a number of events that will take place before his return. Many of those things must take place first. Afterwards, He will come. I think we are in the afterwards stage today. And, our own human capacity to destroy mankind is such that if He doesn’t intervene, we could and would wipe out mankind. He will not allow us to do that.

In a bit of irony, nuclear weapons may have lead to the most peaceful era in modern times. The threat of mutually assured destruction has limited wars between major powers. No one wants to go to war when their destruction is nearly guaranteed. What we got instead were proxy wars, like Vietnam.

1 Like

Unless it’s a person or group who welcomes suicidal destruction and revels in apocalytic fervor? I don’t suppose any of those are still around? Lord help us when they get their hands on big stuff.

Every generation has thought that ever since the early church when the gospel ink wasn’t even dry yet. And they always had a truck load of political stuff and suffering to point at for their evidence.

One thing is sure, though - the end time is around the corner for each of us individually. Some of us closer than others. I’ve already been at a couple funerals in the last month. So … yes … end times are always happening.

3 Likes

A dirty bomb is much more likely. Fission bombs aren’t easy to make which means they are still in the domain of state level facilities. Western nations are still wide open to more conventional attacks, and they remain rare events.

1 Like