Is the Kawasaki like syndrome In CV19 kids due to vitamin d deficiency

A very small number of Covid infected children are experiencing an inflammatory syndrome much like Kawasaki Disease. The vast majority of children are unaffected by Covid with only mild symptoms unlike adults that experience respiratory and vascular issues.

Vitamin d deficiency is emerging as a risk factor in high risk populations to severity of the Covid infection.

Kawasaki Disease has been associated with vitamin d deficiency. It is possible that vitamin d deficiency and other nutritional considerations may be related to this disease in Covid 19 children.

Here are somewhat-related articles:

Thank you Vance! This is becoming clear that vitamin d supplementation will benefit both these high risk patients and itā€™s looking like it will be beneficial for young school children to prevent these Kawasaki like syndrome. Most kids get plenty of vitamin d but some maybe due their poor diet do not get enough and are nutritionally deficient which makes them suspectible.

This is such an easy prophylaxis that people can do to protect themselves. Why. Why are our health leaders not coming out recommending this? If I didnā€™t know any better they just want to keep us locked up and to contact trace us and then give everyone their vaccine.

Stay tuned and keep holding your ground, there are some new studies coming out that will be gamechangers. (But will we hear about it from our health leaders? )

1 Like

That sounds like it should be said wearing a tinfoil cap. I mean, really?

5 Likes

I will be sure to be on the lookout. Game changers are often very over-hyped on skimp evidence so far:

The idea of just having something on the shelf that completely destroys a novel virus is not really anything that ever happens. And then something with basically no side effects, it does sound like snake oil type of stuff.

Not sure who a health leader is but people like Fauci are generally very cautious to recommend a treatment or cure without sufficient evidence.

Come on man, your and my life is really not that interesting that the government wants to know everywhere weā€™ve been in everyone weā€™ve been talking to. I am kind of curious why you think contact tracing during a pandemic is a bad thing.

4 Likes

Did you read this whole article from Clinical Rheumatology or simply the abstract?

This is a riff on the popular conspiracy theory that goes something like this: ā€œThe government isnā€™t telling us everything.ā€

2 Likes

If I were to take a wild guess, it would be because Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin which means that we can get too much of it accumuting in our bodies if people exceed Recommended Daily Allowances. It would be nice to think that if only the CDC, etc, phrased their recommendation carefully enough (please try to get a daily dosage within the RDAā€”not too low, not too high) that out of all 300 million people in the US, nobody would err on the side of too much.

Basically, they have to weigh the uncertain benefits of such a recommendation against the almost certain spate of Vitamin D poisoning that would occur if they said anything.

5 Likes

A, D, E and K are all fat soluble (Kā€™s toxicity is up for debate) Per Up to Date, vitamin D toxicity include the following:

Symptoms of acute intoxication are due to hypercalcemia and include confusion, polyuria, polydipsia, anorexia, vomiting, and muscle weakness. Chronic intoxication may cause nephrocalcinosis, bone demineralization, and pain.

Increased falls have been documented in the elderly, too, as I recall.

Good point.
I think @Skoshland does mention that he does know better than the wild government stuff, so doubt he believes it.
Thanks.

3 Likes

More evidence that vitamin D deficiency is a risk factor linked to Kawasaki disease like that seen in a small number Covid infected children and also likely related to outcomes in adults.

Hippocratic oath (modern)

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable than to cure

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.