Is the COVID Vaccine Safe for Children? A Pediatrician and Immunologist Weigh In

The evidence in favor of covid vaccine safety is absolutely immense at this point. The ‘institutional narrative’ is the one endorsed by nearly everyone with expertise in the relevant fields; it has nothing to do with institutions. We accept the narrative because it has the evidence to back it up – and we’re virtually all vaccinated. Do you think we’d risk our own health and the health of our children if we weren’t persuaded by the evidence?

8 Likes

“Shoulds” are not facts. It is a fact that pediatricians and epidemiologists recommend that children get vaccinated for many preventable diseases, including COVID. I believe people should follow doctor’s advice on vaccination issues.

4 Likes

Yet some doctors recommend against the vaccine for children, especially if the child has already had Covid.

And Covid does not appear to be preventable even with the vaccine. I had three shots and still got it.

Thank you for answering. I agree that it is not a fact.

Are those populations statistically significant?

This is wrong. The vaccine prevents infection a decent percentage of the time, which at the level of a population, will have a significant effect on community spread and infection rates. We are repeating things at this point, Vance, which is why it gets annoying trying to have a conversation with you. You pretend like you are trying to learn things, but you conveniently ignore all the previously mentioned facts that don’t fit your preconceived ideas and refuse to acknowledge when you have got things completely wrong.

2 Likes

I agree with this. The vaccine prevents a good share of the infections, and there are many breakthrough infections. The vaccine also lessens the severity of the infections.

Yet many vaccinated people are not prevented from getting Covid. As the virus mutates, while the vaccine formula is static or slowly playing catch up, the protection of the vaccine against infection is diminished.

If you know this, why did you ask how vaccinating children would protect the vulnerable?

3 Likes

Has anyone responded to this? Ties into my concern of annual booster shots.

I’m not aware of any evidence at all that any vaccines, including covid vaccines, damage the immune system. If you could dig up the evidence that’s supposed to be supporting that claim we could look at it – I don’t have time to do any digging myself.

2 Likes

Thank you for replying. Dr. Harvey Risch is aware of data that is leading him to make this claim. I would think that is response worthy from someone who has the time to look into it further.

Dr. Harvey Risch, whose expertise is in cancer rather than vaccines or infectious disease epidemiology, has a substantial history of making inaccurate statements about covid. Given his history and the consensus among experts about the usefulness of covid vaccines, no, I don’t think the fact that he’s made a claim by itself warrants a lot of attention.

8 Likes

Please excuse me for not having your level of expertise in this subject.

If you or someone else can link a response from a qualified expert, I would appreciate it.

If I see one I’ll let you know.

2 Likes

Do you put that same challenge (to provide data or testimony from a more qualified expert) back to those like Dr. Risch - or those who’ve repeated his claims? Or do idealogues like him get a free pass?

Steve may be too modest to call himself a qualified expert - and maybe doesn’t have the requisite title to claim to be so officially for this specific question (…or maybe - he even does, actually?). But I’ll take his word here any day over what’s heard from political microphones, since Steve is well known here to either know the data himself, or to have listened to those who do know.

Just got my one year old’s first shot today, and still grateful, even though we also recently contracted the vid (after 2.5 years!).

because while our stint at home was not “so bad,” it was bad enough that i do not want to get it again.

7 Likes

We don’t have young children any more. But I’m happy to have stayed boosted (2nd booster taken by now). Because even after the diminishing effectiveness of the vaccine over time, it’s still kicking *** over the alternative of people trying to acquire their immunity the more dangerous way of “just letting nature take its course.”

3 Likes

Yeah, i wish we had been eligible for a booster, we are definitely outside out 6mo window since the last one, and probably why we got sick :sob:

I understand everyone’s time is valuable and I hope I didn’t imply that anyone was required to respond.

Nor do I doubt his qualifications on this subject, but he said he didn’t have the time for this.

I’m still figuring out who is who.

2 Likes

Good question.
Here’s one source. Vaccinated People Not More Susceptible to COVID-19 Than Unvaccinated - FactCheck.org

BTW Risch is not trained in this area; so I would not even consider his word, when those who are (eg CDC) disagree with him. Thanks.

4 Likes

Thank you. I ran through the article and will bookmark it for future reference.

One thing that jumped out at me, and it was numbing to see it as a benefit:

“Similarly, those triply vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine were 46% less likely to become infected during the omicron period.”

3 Likes