Is evolution a fraud?

QED (or as close as we can get to it this side of geometry and logic) YEC’s.

2 Likes

I do not intend to get further involved in this but FYI This is the type of assertions where i would argue in favour of evolution and against biblical superiority

Richard

“It vexes me when they would constrain science by the authority of the Scriptures, and yet do not consider themselves bound to answer reason and experiment.”–Galileo Galilei

3 Likes

Yes Olin, it goes deep. Spherical earth, moon landing, gravity, lol. Riiiightttt!!!

The point is, when you make such a sweeping accusation of conspiracy involving millions of people who are familiar with science, where does one even begin? The worlds of medicine, technology, and basically modern society are built of the precepts of science. Science does include biology. Nature is always changing; witness the variants of SARS-CoV-2 which have emerged over a short time. That is what evolution is, biology over time. Maybe we should start with, is there anything in biology where you accept that scientists are correct?

2 Likes

Just so you know, Origen is a Church Father and he was a disciple of Jesus. He did not believe in the Trinity because he lived before the Trinity became the doctrine of the Church. He was a very devout man and great scholar of the Bible.

Jesus told us: :Do not judge others!, esp those whom you do not know, like Origen and scientists.

2 Likes

Where are people getting the idea that Origen didn’t believe in the Trinity?
‘This is most clearly pointed out by the Apostle Paul, when demonstrating that the power of the Trinity is one and the same, in the words, “There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit; there are diversities of administrations, but the same Lord; and there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God who worketh all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit: withal.” From which it most clearly follows that there is no difference in the Trinity, but that which is called the gift of the Spirit is made known through the Son, and operated by God the Father.’

3 Likes

You’ve been misinformed. Scientists don’t accept evolution to disprove God or to spite creationists. Scientists who believe in God do science as a way of exploring God’s creation, and we pretty much never think about creationists while doing science since their claims are utterly divorced from reality.

We accept and use evolution because it works. It explains and predicts vast ranges of data in multiple fields, and it provides a basis for ongoing, fruitful research. If someone comes up with a theory that works better, we’ll accept that.

6 Likes

Let me clarify. When I said he was not a disciple of Jesus , I meant he was not one of the twelve. They are the church fathers, and of course along with the women, Mary and Mary Magdala,Lydia, Priscilla and many more of the first century. Origen had access to Old Testament writings and should have had the Muratorian Canon. From these writings it is clear Jesus is God in the flesh. John 10:30, John 1:8, Titus 2:13, John 8:58 and many more. The trinity is spoken of in Mat 28:19, John 15:26, Gen 1:26, Mat 3:16-17, John 1:1-51 and many more. Although the Trinity is not in the Bible, the precept is there. The Triune God has been with us from the beginning.
I’m not Judging him. It is my opinion. I know he was a serious person because he wanted to be martyred. He could of used a little help from the Apostle Paul. I am not big on organized religion. I am pleased to be a part of Jesus’s church but I know the church has done questionable and immoral things because of the man or men leading it. That is why I don’t put any man on a pedestal. The word Theologian makes me look at their words and teachings very carefully. There was a lot of misinformation and pagan influences at that time and yes it is the same today and getting worse. The Bible is the Word of God and I believe it from cover to cover.

Unique definition of church father. I always called them apostles and the followers of Jesus.

And Origen certainly believed in the concept of the Trinity. I have a collection of all his works and a search for Trinity returns a boat load of results. I can provide a few if you wish.

1 Like

Why did he take a whole 144 hours?

YECism belittles the import of Psalm 8:4, not only because of the vastness of the size of the universe, but also because of the vastness of its antiquity:

What is man, that you are mindful of him?[!]

And Augustine, mentioned also above, nailed it almost two millennia ago:

1 Like

Because it was hard for me to see how the reference to Psalm 8:4 is relevant, I think a full quote of the Psalm is helpful.

1 O Lord, our Lord,
how majestic is thy name in all the earth!
Thou whose glory above the heavens is chanted
2 by the mouth of babes and infants,
thou hast founded a bulwark because of thy foes,
to still the enemy and the avenger.
3 When I look at thy heavens, the work of thy fingers,
the moon and the stars which thou hast established;
4 what is man that thou art mindful of him,
and the son of man that thou dost care for him?
5 Yet thou hast made him little less than God,
and dost crown him with glory and honor.
6 Thou hast given him dominion over the works of thy hands;
thou hast put all things under his feet,
7 all sheep and oxen,
and also the beasts of the field,
8 the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea,
whatever passes along the paths of the sea.
9 O Lord, our Lord,
how majestic is thy name in all the earth!

Sounds like you’re working from a Jack Chick pamphlet. Do you even bother to visit natural history museums?

3 Likes

It did take 41 years for it to finally be exposed as a hoax. However,

So I wouldn’t say it had been taught as fact for those 41 years.

The simple and straightforward point is that we are tiny with respect to the universe, both in comparing our minute physical size to the vast enormity of the universe and in comparing the few minutes of our time here to the eons of the existence of the universe, and that YEC ‘science’ is antithetical to the essence of what the psalmist was saying in that verse with his rhetorical question.

I am certainly not going to object to posting the whole psalm, especially since there are likely some seeing it for the first time.

I would also like to point out that Ecclesiasticus recognizes that man is an animal. While this doesn’t mean that the ancients knew about evolution, it does mean that they did understand we share a kinship with beasts.

1 Like

They did. At the time of the Exile. When Genesis was written.

1 Like

They came on the scene at the same time.

Science, after philosophy, does investigate the meaning of meaning and claims of meaning. There is only absolute meaning if God is revealed in Christ.

Actually the context is not addressing the higher nature of man . It is simply calling attention to the fact that so far as earthly existence is concerned , men and animals have a common destiny- death! Man has no advantage over the beast in this regard.
Genesis 1:26-28 We are made in the image of God to rule over all creatures of earth. Notice the plurality. Let us make man. God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Psalm 8:4 reiterates the Greatness of God the Creator of everything. Mankind should not get too cocky because although we are made in the image of God we are by no means powerful like God.
Romans 1:20 says we have no excuse not to believe in the Creator “ his invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.”
The Bible does have some allegorical areas but for the most part it is literal and anyone studying it should look deeper at the original language of the text. Hebrew and Greek are very descriptive. An example is the word Day (yom).
It is used over 2300 times in the Old Testament, so it is easy to verify its context in writings. In Genesis 1 it is a 24 hr period. If you don’t agree it is ok. The most important issue is Salvation in Jesus Christ. There is but one way. John 14:6 Jesus said unto him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

1 Like

The problem with big bang is that life would have to be created from non-life.