Is " Evening and morning" metaphorical?

I can see. I get it now

No thanks, I’m curious about your incorrect statement, which I doubly refuted.

In addition to “said” and “walked” is “breathed” which describes air passing into and out of lungs. Plus, if you look at having evening and morning before the earth rotated in reference to the sun, that is clearly metaphorical, as the very definition of morning and evening relates to the position of the sun.

1 Like

More like you didn’t understand me either. Got questions, a Yec website even has an article on God in eden. If that doesn’t help then I cant explain to you sorry

Reasons to Believe has an article on the age of the sun. It explains how it can be older than the earth. As for YEC’s your correct.

No you can’t, due to your lack, not mine. I understand you and YECs perfectly. Which cannot possibly be explained to you without a common epistemology. Thank you.

Science explains how the Sun is only just, at 4.6 GA, older than the Earth, at 4.54 ± 0.05 billion years (4.54 × 10 years ± 1%). Around fifty million years - 1% - older.

Today I heard a strange argument on a video. The person said that when it said and the earth was formless and void (tohu and bohu) it meant chaos and order. If in the writings evening and morning mtaphorical, and Moses wanted to represent chaos and order, he should’ve used the word tohu instead of ereb, which means evening. Your thoughts?

1. Large scale: The whole of Genesis chapter 1. This is related to Ancient Near East (ANE) creation accounts. In some senses it is very similar to them. In other senses it is staunchly opposite. It borrows the common cultural understanding (the similarity) then within that common-ground structure paints a diametrically opposed account. It is simultaneously both similar to and opposite to such ANE practices.

2. Small-scale: Gen.1:16 “And God made the two great lights: the great light for dominion of day and the small light for dominion of night.” While this clearly refers to the sun and the moon, it specifically avoids the words “sun” and “moon”. This is a profound point of opposition to the ANE cultures. In those cultures, “sun” and “moon” in a creation account would indivisibly also mean “sun-god” and “moon-god”. But Gen.1:16 refuses to say the implied “God created the sun-god and moon-god” by instead saying “God created the two great lights”.

Does that help?

By the way, “metaphorical” is a poor word for describing these chapters (Gen.1-11). I don’t think these chapters are attempting to be a metaphor for something else. (What “something else” would that be?) Rather, within a shared ANE-cultural framework, they are boldly and defiantly proclaiming a unique, near-opposite creation account and whose God-aspect detail is vastly different. (There is a far better word than metaphorical, but I won’t use it, because it is misunderstood and would only distract us down a dark, fruitless semantic rabbit hole.)

1 Like

Again, I don’t think any case can be made that “evening” is metaphorical for chaos (I don’t think “evening and morning” are metaphorical at all…I just think the whole week construct is figurative). Yes, tohu wabohu could mean chaos (not chaos and order…the order comes from the six subsequent days). FWIW, I think “chaos” is not the best word choice to describe v. 2 (I’d choose “non-order”), but it’s at least a viable option.

Chaos is the perfect poetic word. Non-order… ain’t.

I don’t understand. I’m trying to understand the Hebrew in light of its ANE context. I think there is a distinction between anti-order (chaos) and non-order. HT: John Walton.

oh ok. I get it

So basically now my question that I posted is mainly for those who believe that evening and morning are metaphorical

Nobody believes that.

Meant to reply to KJturner sorry my mistake

What’s Greek for chaos?

Check the other post. People did

Which post? Nobody believes that evening and morning are actually metaphorical of anything as literal as evening and morning. Like what? Geological epochs? Neither are they metaphorical of abstracts. Like what?

1 Like

chaos is a Greek word! (also abyss). But totally irrelevant when talking about a Hebrew text.

1 Like