Is " Evening and morning" metaphorical?

It’s not about whether the words “evening” and “morning” are metaphorical, but whether the text as a whole is. Still, one could look at the use of “day” in Hos 6:2 as a likely non-literal use. I’d make a case that Dan 8 is not meant to be taken literal. I’m sure searching around would find plenty of texts (especially poetic and prophetic) that would, or at least could, be rendered non-literally.

To be clear, I don’t see the words evening and morning themselves as figurative in Gen 1 or Dan 8. The argument would be about the whole passages.

3 Likes

I would like to apologize if I was rude. I am just really worried about my friend right now and he is saying that he will leave the faith if he doesn’t find any other view convincing. It’s affecting my mood.

1 Like

I need to apologize too. My words are typically not as gracious as they should be.

Ok. My friend isn’t convinced that the PASSAGES are even metaphorical. He told me to list one thing in the early chapters of Genesis that’s clearly metaphorical. Is there anything at least in the early chapters of Genesis that’s metaphorical? Additionaly, he does admit that day in the Bible doesn’t always have to mean 24 hours, but he believes that because it’s associated with evening and morning( daylight in his view) it must be 24 hour days in Genesis.

You might point him to some objective evidence of God’s providential interventions: Maggie’s testimony and Rich Stearns.

ok. I will.

1 Like

“God said…” is figurative language since God doesn’t have vocal chords (nor was he speaking Hebrew, a language that didn’t exist yet). We could add the hovering Spirit and a dome pushing back waters.

1 Like

I think he would still believe in God however not the Christian God.

God doesn’t need vocal chords to talk. He’s God!

Neither does he need time to work. HIs Godness is not the point. The verb “said” normally assumes a person (occasionally an animal) that has certain body parts used in communication.

Not in all cases. Plus, God chose to use time to create as clearly mentioned in the Bible. The Bible doesn’t say God chose to use/need vocal chords to talk. LOL.

You can say " and siri said" even! Does siri have body parts? I don’t think so! Same with Robots etc

If you still are thinking about what I typed about the word " said", here is the definition: utter words so as to convey information, an opinion, a feeling or intention, or an instruction.

Anyways, is there anywhere else where there is clearly metaphors?

In early chapters of Genesis??

God in the two accounts mentioned is distinctly our ‘Christian God’. I could regale you with many instances, one-offs and several entire sets, in my own experience (I’m three-score and ten plus ; - ) but I’m afraid of sounding like it’s about me.

Ok then. I’ll try to show him the websites then.

1 Like

(Those are here at BioLogos.)

So He didn’t walk and talk in Eden. Or under the Terebinth Trees of Mamre?

I shuld’ve wrote my thing better. But you know what I meant right

1 Like

I don’t understand im sorry. If your curious about God in eden Got questions has an article on that.