Is Dark matter about to die?

Thought this might be interesting to some here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/ezfzbd/new_evidence_shows_that_the_key_assumption_made/

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/1538-4357/ab5afc/pdf

There is an old thread here on Dark matter hunt fails to find the elusive particles from 2017. This failure to find dark matter has continued.

Dark matter’s no-show means that many possible explanations for it that people like me favoured just a decade ago have now been ruled out. That is forcing us to radically revisit assumptions not only about the nature of dark matter, but also about the early history of our universe. This is the latest twist in a long-running saga: our failure to detect the particles that make up dark matter suggests that the beginning of the universe may have been very different from what we imagined. – Dan Hooper Nov 13, 2019 Read more: Why dark matter's no-show could mean a big bang rethink | New Scientist

What the article says, in short is that the supernova data which was used to support dark matter’s existence is now questionable. Im not taking sides on this, it isn’t my area but I do smell the decaying flesh of dark matter’s theory. Maybe a cure will come, but right now, it is looking shakey.

2 Likes

That Reddit link didn’t work for me (because it’s actually not a reddit one?) but this one does:

It includes the abstract, as does the other link, and there are a few intelligent comments. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Actually, the first clue to the existence of dark matter came from galaxy rotational speeds. That hasn’t changed. Another key indicator of dark matter is the fact that the gravitational properties of galaxies and galaxy clusters (such as how they warp light coming from beyond them) do not match what the visible matter could do on its own. It’s clear that dark matter is a real thing. What it is, however, remains quite uncertain. Some young-earth advocates have denied the existence of dark matter, because it gets mentioned in discussions of the Big Bang, which is on their “bad” list and/or because it’s part of why the galaxy spiral arm argument is wrong. Ironically, an astronomer who works with Answers in Genesis pointed out that those denials of dark matter are not sound.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.