INTEGRATE: First 3 units are out!

@Homeschool_Forum

The first three units of BioLogos INTEGRATE, a high school curriculum tackling contemporary faith science issues, were released today.

Until October 31, you can download the first unit for free with the promo code FREE1.

Here is an article describing it with the links you need:

As always, I’m happy to answer questions or talk more about it.

5 Likes

Do you know if international shipping is available? We are overseas workers in Thailand. Would love to have access to these resources. Thanks for any advice.

1 Like

It’s a digital resource, and right now i believe the issue for international customers has something to do with taxes not shipping. I think that if you had a US address you could put in at checkout (a family member’s or something), you could order it. Nothing would actually ship, because it’s a download.

1 Like

“…we conducted focus groups with Christian school science teachers and homeschool parents. It became clear that they didn’t need a complete new science curriculum. What they wanted were vetted, high-quality resources to supplement their existing curricula”

This sounds very hopeful.

1 Like

I so SO want this. But I’m not currently earning (as the home ed parent) and my husband is passionately YEC… So I don’t think I’ll be able to do more than the first unit!

1 Like

Many of the units don’t really delve into evolution at all, so maybe you could lobby for a couple. We tried to be sensitive as we were writing to the fact that many of the students it would be used with and potentially some of the teachers would not be on board with evolutionary creation. We tried to take the tone of “this is what many Christian scientists find compelling, so you can understand their perspective better” instead of “this is why YEC is garbage and you should definitely change your mind.”

Unit 2 (Ways of Knowing) is more about philosophy/theology. Unit 3 (Science as a Christian Vocation) focuses on the contributions of Christians to scientific endeavors past and present. Unit 4 (Cells and Design) brings up some concern with ID in one of the modules but generally stays focused on cellular processes and how randomness operating under constraints can produce complex results. Unit 5 (Genetic Diversity and Human Dignity) focuses on celebrating diverse ways of being human and only touches on the idea of evolution in the discussion of race by presuming the standard models of human migration out of Africa. Unit 6 (DNA Technologies and Ethics) doesn’t deal with evolution, it’s about the ethics of genetic testing, gene editing with CRISPR, bioethics around the use of embryos, and GMOs. Unit 7 (Fearfully and Wonderfully Made) is about sanctity of life, the complexity of human development from conception, brain science, and ethics around treatment of the sick and elderly. Unit 8 (Bible Interpretation and Science) tries to fairly present how different Christians approach Scripture and the reasons different people who both respect the Bible come to different conclusions about how to harmonize what the Bible says and what they see in the world. There is no evolutionary science presented. Unit 12 (Seeing God in Creation) is about seeing nature as revealing God and inspiring worship and how Christians can better appreciate the natural cycles God uses to sustain creation and also believe he does miracles. Unit 13 (Caring for People and the Planet) is about ecology and the biblical grounding of the ideas of stewardship and dominion. Unit 14 (Climate Change and Our Commission) talks about the Christian values behind the need to respond to environmental degradation and gets into environmental justice. Unit 15 (Biodiversity and Conservation) explores the idea that God loves all his creatures and we can participate in that love by caring well for non-human animals and the ecosystems that sustain life.

So to summarize, it’s really only three of the fifteen units that would probably be problematic in the eyes of a YEC. You can read the review of a YEC piloter of a three of the units here:

1 Like