"I'm not interpreting it, I'm just reading it!"

-On this first one…Is it meant to be a heading of sorts? If not, please list the contradictions, if you will.
-In the beginning, God created light that existed independently from the heavenly bodies.
-I thought “rule over creation” (or whatever your translation says) is pretty clear…
-I suppose God thought that the things that he had created on each day were good…so he said so
-The creation is now complete, so it should by now be pretty obvious that days from this point are literal days (even though “evening and morning” are included in previous days to deter alternate time line interpretations through reinforcing the literalness of the first 6 days)
-The scriptures never say that God needed to rest. He did so in order to set an example for us.
-Mind showing an example?
-?
-Satan (or the snake possessed by Satan). As I have said before: ‘in the day’ = ‘after this is done, then this will happen.’
-(or the snake possessed by Satan)
-Adam and Eve would live forever, for they would always have the tree of life available (if they had not sinned). After the fall, God justly barred them and their offspring from the tree of life, for living forever in a sinful world would hardly be a blessing…
-Angels?
-MOST of these answers are tolerably straightforward (and all of them are more straightforward than EC).

Your thoughts, @pevaquark?

(@gbrooks9, you would enjoy this too)

Is the word of God plainly read. With minimal or no “interpretation.”

But Jonathan, you said this:

This is not “minimal or no ‘interpretation’” by any stretch of the imagination. Then there is this:

These answers are all thick with interpretation as well.

“Minimal or no interpretation” means you would be quoting the text verbatim in response to @pevaquark’s questions. You are not doing that by any stretch of the imagination.

3 Likes

You are reading it in English which means it was translated from Hebrew. Translation is not a mechanical operation but requires the skill of a translator to determine how to be render what they think the meaning of the Hebrew is into English. You may not have done the interpretation, but when you read Genesis in English there is already interpretation involved. And, btw, translation is a fallible human operation that is not inspired.

3 Likes

Every act of communication, even in your own language, requires interpretation. We all refer to context, our prior knowledge, our existing mental concepts, our shared experiences with our communication partners, our assumptions about their goals and motivations in order to infer meaning. There really is no such thing as “literal meaning” or “plain meaning” for a given act of communication. There is the intended meaning of the speaker and the inferred meaning of the hearer. Words don’t actually carry and dump content from one person to another, they just trigger inferences dependent on a specific context.

9 Likes

The most blatant contradictions are in the temporal order, Jonathan:
Genesis 1: Plants and trees, then fish and birds, then land animals, then men and women.
Genesis 2: Man, then trees, then land animals and birds, then woman.

You can’t reconcile them if you take both literally.

But since you had to ask, have you really read the chapters you claim to take literally?

2 Likes

Translation is major interpretation.

Just about everything you wrote in response to James is interpretation.

[quote=“jammycakes, post:66, topic:36573”]
Interestingly, Genesis 1 implies…
[/quote]Leaving aside your conflation of the author’s implication with your inference, you just stated that you are interpreting.

1 Like

If I have properly interpreted your response I would just have to say “well said.”

Excellent answer. Our brains have to interpret everything.

1 Like

@J.E.S

This is not really an answer. Modern audiences know that the “light” and the “dark” phases of a 24 hour day are created by the Sun.

You are proposing that without the Sun, there would still be light and darkness…

So basically, you have abandoned any idea that there are markers in a story that flag to the reader that it is a parable.

For you, there are no markers significant enough to flag a parable… because All things are possible - - no matter how little sense they make, or how much things contradict the witness of the eyes and ears.

@jammycakes

I never said that the instances of word combinations with yom proved that there is a, “rule requiring the alleged restriction”. I used the data as addition evidence, along with Exodus 20:11 and 31:17 in making the case that yom in Genesis 1 is meant to be interpreted as a normal 24-hour day. Really, you don’t need anything more than the Exodus verses.

The footnotes from the section of my paper were taken out by this system, but there were 2 sources in the passage, one from Dennis Lamoureux’s (hardly a YEC) book Evolutionary Creationism, along with 2 from GotQuestions.org, a YEC group. The figures of yom appearing 410 times outside of G1 is backed up by Rodney Whitfield at OldEarth.org, though he disputes 2 of the instances. Again, I’m not proving a rule, but if the figures are correct (even granting the 2 exceptions) then, IMO anyway, they strongly support a normal G! yom, along with Exodus verses.

I can see why the, “yom with a number” stats would be used to attack the Day Age Teory, but why would they discount the Framework Theory? In fact, my paper was written to prove that the FT is the best way to interpret Genesis 1.

Thanks for clarifying your position Richard.

I’m not surprised that gotquestions.org cited this argument — after all, they’re as dyed-in-the-wool YEC as they come, uncritically citing demonstrably untrue or misleading AIG/ICR/CMI claims verbatim without doing the slightest bit of fact-checking. Regarding Whitefield’s article — I take it you mean this one? Again, he’s responding to John MacArthur — again, another dyed-in-the-wool YEC, and as such he’s refuting the “yom with a number” argument. In fact, he doesn’t only point out that there are exceptions to the “rule,” he also points out that the way that yom is combined with a number in Genesis 1 is unique to Genesis 1 — yom ehad rather than hayyom harison — and as such, even if those exceptions didn’t exist, the rule still wouldn’t apply.

I haven’t seen Lamoureux’s book — do you have an exact page reference that I can look up if I get the chance?

I think Jesus was a Zen Buddhist and his teachings are sort of koan-like. Sort of Socratic?

In the same way the Torah 7th and 49th year fiscal laws sound … egalitarian, they didn’t “work” and the rabbis devised “workarounds” as authorized before Moses went to the Mountain and got the Law.

In the same way, Jesus “commandment” to give away all assets except what is needed in the immediate future would prohibit any planning for the future and we would all be “dirt-poor” farmers. Is that what God wants? Everyone living from growing season to growing season? Sounds like a living Hell to me.

The idea that Genesis is not literally history is not a new idea. It’s been around since the time of Augustine. Secondly, I’d think God would be upset about all the people being led away from Christ because of some insistence that one can’t be a Christian if Genesis isn’t interpreted as literal history.

Man is separated from God by his sinfulness. Hence why we need Christ to intercede on our behalf. That is the plain reading. Not fretting over whether or not the events in Genesis actually happened. I’ve no clue why some people get so hung up on this, but it drives people away from Christianity and it’s sad.

1 Like

Not to mention that God isn’t the the author of confusion. The fact that Genesis has contradictions should be proof enough that it wasn’t meant to be taken literally.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.