If it all be possible, let this cup pass from me

@Dale @Daniel_Fisher

I think the dialogue is a good one, as I liked that movie, “The Last Temptation of Christ.” Just because I disagree doesn’t mean these are not questions worth asking and things not worth thinking about.

What I have learned is that the spectrum of belief about Jesus is a little wider than I was previously aware of. And while I do not support the ideas of a super-human Jesus, neither do I support the idea of an average-joe Jesus. It makes me more sympathetic with all the theological troubles over Christology in the early Christian church, for I can see how much effect it has on the inspiration of those who choose to devote themselves to serving Christ.

1 Like

I think it is sinful for a Christian (or uneducated of them).

Dying may be distinctly uncomfortable, but I look forward to crossing the ‘little river’ of Jordon.

Yes, to live is Christ and to die is gain. I don’t disagree with that. I do disagree with your assessment of anxiety and doubt over death. If one lets that fear own them and control their lives then I would agree but that’s an extreme case.

If I thought faith was based on intellectual certainty I would agree with you. I don’t have unassailable intellectual certainty though. If you have that, count your blessings. For me there is room for genuine doubt in life.

Vinnie

What is the most frequent mandate in scripture?

I have no doubt who my biological father was. I have no doubt who my heavenly Father is.

That is great for you. I’m a little jealous. I wish I had absolute certainty. I don’t.

I’m trained in science. I doubt everything. More excessively than others. But I have friends in the same boat as me. We are not all built the same in this way. Paul had his thorn, I have several of my own and I’d guess you have yours as well.

And there are levels of certainty in this area as well. You may fee certain of God’s love but are you certain all your doctrine and theology is true? I hope not.

I certainly don’t think my faith is blind or not intellectually justified but absolute, unquestioning certainty is a bridge built too far for me and a lot of others. Doubt is a healthy and natural part of being a human.

I don’t think God really cares to be honest. If He wanted to play tricks and absolutely prove Himself to me I assume He could. He doesn’t and it doesn’t really matter. A rose by any other name smells just as sweet.

Vinnie

I’m sorry. It’s available. The disciples in the boat on Galilee while Jesus was sleeping should have known better. We are to have childlike faith.

So am I. But empirical evidence can be had. Are you familiar with Maggie’s testimony? Do you think she has lingering doubts? We are to have childlike faith.

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
Hebrews 11:6

Speaking of boats. :grin:

Maybe that is a platitude? What did Jesus say to the disciples after they woke him? He didn’t only rebuke the wind and the waves. We are to have childlike faith.

What?! That is an oxymoron and an intrinsic contradiction, to say it redundantly. You might check this out: Why there is no proof of God. What do you think the reward(s) mentioned in the verse cited above might be?

I would not be disparaging of God’s providence, calling instances “tricks” – is that what you want to call what he did for Maggie? It matters.

Ah. I see what you did there. :grin:
Lets eat Grandma.

Yes, childlike trust in God. Not child-like belief he exists. I have the former but denounce the latter. Your reference to the disciples is meaningless to me. If I saw a man walking on water and still the weather I’d have more intellectual faith. It actually takes a good amount of intellectual faith and “child-like belief” to accept the historicity of those stories. They aren’t a point to argue * from*, they are a point to argue for.

A few points:

Evidence of something and proof for it are very different things. In the lack of proof, there is room for doubt. Scientists don’t even presume to fully understand the nature of gravity or why it happens despite all that evidence. Science never settles an issue definitively.

Childlike trust in God yes, Absolute certainty in the factuality of my beliefs is not to be had.

Am I supposed to believe God exists like a child believes Santa Claus is real? Surely you don’t mean this.

Maggie’s story was strong and powerful and I don’t doubt it was real for her but it can easily
be deconstructed.

My background in science tells me the mere fact that it’s based upon human testimony and interpretation of a sensual experience decades ago during a traumatic period in a person’s life that can’t replicated or externally corroborated tells me it’s a low form of evidence. Our memories are not nearly as certain as we would like to think they are. We often read things back into our experiences. We have no way of knowing in most cases.

In terms of proving something, personal experience is the weakest form of evidence there is. I’m sure Allah has appeared to millions of people convinced he was real as have ghosts, big foot, ufos and all manner of strange phenomenon. Think of suicide cults and all sorts snake handlers and so on. People truly can believe just about anything and be convinced it’s true. One only need only pit mutually exclusive religious testimony against itself to cast doubt on it and consider it part of the human imagination.

Also, several of her five highly improbably things occurring are also solved by the one thing (the nurse hit three of them from what I remember). The other two were solved by her spmtwneously deciding to drove down a different road. Not to mention for every story like hers we might find 100 that ends with a person starving under a bridge homeless.

I don’t doubt the validity of her experience. But I don’t proclaim it as it as Gospel and irrefutable proof God exists.

I never commented on them, as far as recall, because it’s not my business to critique other people’s call stories or personal experiences with God. I will comment, however, if you advocate it as public proof of God’s existence. You have mentioned that conversion story here so many times it’s almost as if you think it single-handed settled the issue of whether God exists or not for all people for all time. If you think that sort of evidence is supposed to render all doubt impossible, our science training has been very different.

I thought it was an evil generation that requires a sign? And calling them tricks was a sign of respect for God’s Providence. I don’t expect him to stop what he’s doing and come down here and fix my doubts. He’s not a cosmic vending machine that I can demand things from or a dog that will give me paw at my command. We are the dog.

Vinnie

Punctuation saves lives!

1 Like

It’s about a Father-child relationship. Not ‘signs’, proof, demanded by unbelievers. What are the rewards in the citation? Nothing?

Not so easy for some of us when we watch kids die of cancer or millions of them die because they just don’t have access to clean drinking water. Or when a tsunami comes and kills a couple hundred thousand people and so on. Proof of a benevolent Father looking over us is very difficult to have absolute intellectual faith in. What Father let’s their child die of cancer if they can stop it? What father doesn’t stop a hurricane from killing his children if he can stop it? Your whole Father-Child argument only goes so far for many of us.

But again, I am genuinely happy for you that you have a completely doubt free faith. I am also happy that Jesus had doubts and fears. Gives courage and hope to a wretch like me :stuck_out_tongue:

Sure, other’s experiences are not compelling to unbelievers, I get that. They can always express their faith in statistical outliers. But the meaning infused in the otherwise disjoint events is beyond probabilities. How about Rich Stearns. Have you seen that sequence?

That you appear not to rejoice in it maybe tells us something.

I don’t agree with you that we can prove the event was beyond probability.

Vinnie,. Maggie here. I was educated as a research scientist and demanded empirical evidence before I would believe anything, 52 years ago. However, faith is certain knowledge gained from experience. God proved himself to be omnipotent, loving, personally caring and compassionate to everyone to wants a relationship with him in 1969, but I still had many times when doubt engulfed me for years. Now I no longer have any doubt. He IS. Nothing is impossible to him, but not all things that we want are best; God knows best. Sometimes even he is restrained, however. God cannot work where we refuse to cooperate. For example, if he puts it in our heart and mind 20 times to call a certain person, but we never obey the prompting, we may miss an opportunity God tried to set up for us. He wants us to learn to be sensitive and obedient To his “still small voice”, without having to spell everything out in capital letters. God is observable everywhere in nature. He said his name is Y. (YAH) He said he stamped his name throughout creation. He did. YAH (Y) is visible absolutely everywhere; God signed all his handiwork. Look for Y between your fingers, veins, tree branches, river tributaries, every bone attachment, leaf attachment etc. If God made it it is signed with a Y. God does not have to do anything more to prove himself. The next step is up to us, to tell him we want to know him PERSONALLY; to have a personal relationship with him. He will not force himself on anyone, and he has no reason to do anything more than he has already done, to prove he is. However, his love is immense; he will respond if you accept the invitation he has already given to call out to him.

1 Like

Um, where did I say that it could be proven. I have been saying the exact opposite. Your failure to follow means this conversation has reached its limit, as far as I’m concerned.

Shalom, again.

1 Like

If you can’t prove it, there is room for doubt.

You said you have no doubts at all. To me that means you are absolutely certain. Your words.

You believe, put your trust in and have absolute certainty about all kinds of things that you do not doubt and have not personally proven. If you cannot think of any, I can point out everyday examples to you.

Cause and effect is one. Thanks Hume. But go ahead and make the list. My worldview and behavior takes God’s existence for granted. His light is how I see the world. Still doesn’t mean there isn’t any doubt there for me or that it isn’t natural. And you would be surprised what I put absolutely trust in or don’t. But I’d be happy to compare evidence for different beliefs of my own.

Vinnie

1 Like

If you are your Father’s child, why wouldn’t you want to see his activity in your life, even yearn for it?