If Christmas was pagan, would it matter?

Wait slippers??!? Do you know the origins of slippers- according to the Internet:

It turn out, that they have come from East, exactly, appeared in one of inhabitant sultan harems. Then slippers were like a symbol of captivity, because even very freedom and constancy lovable concubine, didn’t dare to run away from harem to rocky road, in thin and from feet easy slippering, slippers. As for it, slippers were very comfortable and soft, when it was needed to sit down on low chairs, in pose with crossed legs above you. They were easy to take off, stepping on expensive Persian carpets.

You need to rethink twice about getting someone slippers as it clearly has unholy roots.

5 Likes

were they fluffy?

2 Likes

Yes, A December 25th Christmas was brought to us by the pagan ruler, Constantine. Jesus was born at the beginning of December. A forensic analysis of the following factors places his birth date at Dec 1, 7 BC.

• Herod ruled from 33 to 4 BC.
  • Sentius Saturnius was the mayor of Judea from 9 to 6 BC.
  • Emperor Augustus ran a census in 8 BC to for tax purposes.
  • In 7 BC, the conjunction of the planets Jupiter and Saturn forming a rare star.

It was Constantine that we have to thank for much of the dogma that has clouded Christian teaching. He was the first of two pagan Emperors who bent Christian teaching to meet their political objects, bringing so much confusion into Christianity and so much death in the name of god. The gods that Constantine served were the three demonic gods that powerful earthly rulers have served since the beginning of times on earth: the three fallen archangels – Lucifer, Aholah and Aholibah. Known to the Egyptians as Amun, Horus and Hathor or to the Romans as Neptune, Venus and Minerva.

Constantine is known for expanding the reach of Christianity in most history books, but to the enlightened historians, like Jacob Burckhardt, he was just a brilliant politician that saw the potential of the Christian belief as a means to control the masses. In order to make Christianity palatable to the pagan masses, he did two things that still haunt us today.

• Instead of celebrating Christmas at the beginning of the month of December, he moved the celebration to be coincidental to the pagan winter solstice celebration dedicated to sol invictus, the Roman sun god (Satan) that steals his light from Jesus.
  • Constantine embraced the concept of the trinity, as he was used to as a pagan serving three gods. This allowed him to grow the ranks of the faithful by converting pagans to Christians; without forcing them to give up their pagan beliefs.
1 Like

Enns implies that the sacrifice system of the OT came from pagan practices as well; but I don’t think God is limited by our understanding. I think He accepts our hearts. Psalm 51:16-17 New Living Translation (NLT)

You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.
You do not want a burnt offering.

The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.
You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.

2 Likes

Ahah! If Jesus was born 7 years before Christ how can he be the … yeah, no, just having a little sport here. Carry on.

Personally the best thing about Christmas for me is the music. But I hate to shop for anything and even more so for something someone else might want. Ugh.

1 Like

@Shawn_Murphy You might want to take a look at this thread

Jonathan posted a link to an post that pretty clearly takes that myth apart. Christmas was already established before the celebration of sol Invictus.

1 Like

My point was that there is no documentary evidence that Christians co-opted this day. But the myth is very widespread and many people believe it. You’ll probably see a television special or two next month making this claim. So if somebody believes that Dec 25 was co-opted from the pagans, he should point to documentary evidence.

1 Like

If Christmas was pagan, would it matter?

Not to me it wouldn’t. I am not an anti-pagan Christian. I celebrate the elements of paganism in Christianity and only lament that paganism didn’t have a greater impact, at least in so far as giving us a greater respect for nature.

6 Likes

The origins of Christmas isn’t pagan, although Christmas may have, over time, borrowed a thing or two from pagan practice. But whatever of it is thoroughly de-paganized. The pagans gave gifts and had meals on some holiday – big deal – that’s utterly irrelevant. I’m assuming if you took some pagans holiday, totally Christianized it and celebrated Christ, the pagan would think you were doing a pretty bad job of being a pagan.

It would be like being anti-fish just because you suspect you share an ancestor. Presumably every Christian has a pagan ancestor as well.

1 Like

I don’t mean anything against you, but you seem to know quite little about the history of Constantine’s reign. This is some sort of omega fiction myth mashup.

2 Likes

I know the written history of Constantine and I also know the minority reports of Constantine. I choose to believe the reports of the peoples he conquered, because their belief is logical. The evidence of what Constantine did to a Christ-like belief is unquestionable. Anyone who kills in the name of God is not Christian and inane enlightened age, we rightly should question their motives. Together, Constantine and Justinian were responsible for the dark ages. They enabled the church to give up logic and forsake the sciences of Euclid, Pythagoras, and Archimedes. Euclid.

What reports of the people he conquered?

Together, Constantine and Justinian were responsible for the dark ages.

And yet British historian Adrian Goldsworthy writes …

The Dark Ages remain fixed in the popular mind, even if the term has long since been abandoned by scholars. (How Rome Fell: Death of a Superpower. Yale University Press, 2009, 1)

If I remember correctly, Constantine actually rebuilt the Roman Empire, didn’t he? I also think its awful difficult for Justinian to have started the period of the “dark ages” (which historians think is a myth) considering the conventional starting date for the dark ages is around 500, and Justinian wouldn’t take the throne of the Byzantine empire until 527.

They enabled the church to give up logic and forsake the sciences of Euclid, Pythagoras, and Archimedes. Euclid.

More hoary, antiquated myths. But let’s take this one step at a time. Let’s hear about your minority reports and reaction to the fact that there actually wasn’t any dark ages.

EDIT: By the way, don’t take it that I’m trying to shame you as some sort of ignoramus. Feel free to ask questions and for resources.

Maybe even this helped cause any ‘dark ages:’
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/why-536-was-worst-year-be-alive

1 Like

In 543 AD Justinian declared the core enlightened Christian beliefs as being anathema. The roman empire went on to conquered the newly created barbarians which led to imbalance. These included the Goths and the North African Wandelen, both were so-called arian Christians or enlightened Christians. Less enlightened people and more more unenlightened = dark in my book, but I happy to call it medieval if it appeases the scholars. Yes, Constantine ‘rebuilt the Roman Empire’ with the slaves he captured from these wars.

Well I can’t say Justinian’s reign was the high point of life quality in Scandinavia (though it may have been a high point for architecture and jurisprudence), but I can’t say that his 38 year reign was so much worse than the Third Century Crisis in the Roman empire. You know, that’s when Rome plunged into civil war for half a century (there were anywhere between 30 and 60 emperors in this time), the Plague of Cyprian broke out (just as deadly as the Plague of Justinian mentioned in that article – killing from a third to half the population), and the barbarians in the northern steppes started bludgeoning through the Danubian frontiers of the empire – not to mention that the Persian empire was ravaging Rome’s eastern frontier (and Rome returned the favor). Rome had many really low points, none of which are a dark age.

Wow, all of that sounds like a good reason not to look back on the “good old days!”

Wow, all of that sounds like a good reason not to look back on the “good old days!”

Words of wisdom. We shouldn’t pretend like it was all bad, though. The medieval world gave us the modern one, and that can be said without the slightest hint of exaggeration.

2 Likes

Constantine was no angel, but he did make Christianity a legal religion, ending the terrible persecution of Christians. Because the empire was in tumult over the various Christological controversies, he called for the council of Nicea, inviting bishops from across the empire to settle the important questions regarding the nature of Christ.

While debating fundamental theological doctrines about Christ, the bishops were also speaking different languages, living in different cultures, and negotiating different relationships with the emperor.

Unfortunately, the most reverend Bishop Dan Brown missed his train to the ecunemical councils, and his important contributions concerning TRUE orthodoxy were lost, coming to light only recently. Bishop Dan was recently canonized in an alternative universe. Ora pro nobis, Bishop Dan.

4 Likes

Oh, that is too funny.Thank you.
Twelve years ago it was scary–everyone seemed to really believe him (where was the department of symbology he alluded to?) I heard something about him recently though .What has happened lately with him?

1 Like