Humor in Science and Theology

K40-Ar40, perhaps?

1 Like

No comment. Any words I may write in praise of this edgy Paleozoic masterwork of the 2000ā€™s could never do it justice.

This is from a science textbook. Look familiar to anyone?

We have a copy of it, and noticed a few random errors, but it is generally quite well done.

1 Like

Okay - I give up. Can anybody explain the humor of the last four or so pics above to me? I mean ā€¦ I guess the ā€œstop them from evolvingā€ one is a bit amusing. But everything else about the above four pics just looks random and meaningless to me.

2 Likes

Hey, I donā€™t get them either! Thank you for breaking the ice! @Combine_Advisor :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ll try my best to explain the humor!

So the first one I sent is a joke about the game Half Life. The creators of this game are notorious for promising a third installment and then taking a while to make it, so it was only a matter of time before somebody superimposed a reference on top of a textbook graph about the decay of elements.

The rest of the stuff is post-ironic humor, so it isnā€™t supposed to make much sense; the fact that the bizarre images exist, unapologetically fail to deliver the expectation of a well-structured joke despite often being presented as such, and are strange to the point of being meaningless can be funny to some people. Come to think of it, itā€™s weirdly nihilisticā€¦

1 Like

The last one was the funniest to me.

The joke seems to be that while we know that muscles are what makes us move, itā€™s usually because of anatomy and physiology and not because of some Hellbound heart escapee
chasing us down. It looks like a skinless nightmare chasing down the person, when itā€™s just a metaphor concerning muscle movement.

I did not really get the first one and I never watched the video.

2 Likes

The first one is a reference to how long itā€™s taking Valve to make the game Half Life 3, which was promised to come out soonā€¦itā€™s been 14 years now.

The video is a slideshow of Anomalocaris art from 2009 with the song ā€œBring Me To lifeā€. Itā€™s strangely passionate.

1 Like

As a big Half Life fan I thought the image was very funny. Sadly, I donā€™t think theyā€™ll ever be a Half Life 3.

Valve released HL2 to show off what itā€™s engine could do and ensure there was at least one AAA game on Steam when it launched. I donā€™t think they ever expected it to be so popular.

A shame really, Gordon deserves better.

1 Like

Especially Adrian Shephard. Remember him? I bet Valve doesnā€™t!

Mushroom ID? Xd. Perhaps itā€™s an Amansava?

2 Likes

Is that really a mushroom? Wow, thatā€™s convincing!

Ken Ham would have humans taking dinosaur reins. :grin:

1 Like

Noah after getting the ok to eat meat from God for being such a good zookeeper, circa 3,000 BC

aKjjKRQ_460s

Is this a painting of St. Thomas Aquinas, or is it of someone else?

3 Likes

13 Likes

Iā€™m unashamedly stealing this. Fortunately my sins are forgiven.

4 Likes

I stole it first

2 Likes