Humor in Science and Theology

I’ve got a fun story about how I discovered that an orthopedic surgeon and I were both believers, and it is not inappropriate for this thread, given its topic. :slightly_smiling_face:

He had had a problem with a piece of equipment – it was over three decades ago, and I don’t remember exactly what it was, maybe an audio amplifier that the surgical team would plug the headsets in their spacesuits into so they could communicate above the noise of the environment – what with the ventilation system for their outfits, saws, drills, hammers, suction, HEPA laminar air system, etc.

Anyway, whatever it was had an intermittent problem that I could not reproduce. I was in the medical library looking something up and Dr. B, whom I did not really know at the time, came in and we started chatting about the problem. I said that there would be a market for a time machine for intermittent problems (the worst kind of technical problem!) so that we could go back and reproduce it. He said he would not mind going back in time but he did not want to go forward. I said I would not mind going forward to the end of time, and he allowed that he could agree with that! :slightly_smiling_face: He became a dear friend a few years later when he and his family joined our church.

1 Like

I know it’s off topic, because it sure isn’t funny, but the amount of ignorance and denial out there is astounding!

Along the same line:

8 Likes

The humor is in quotes. The rest is just backstory.

This appears to be a recurring pattern with our grocery store: the (produce area) almonds and sesame snacks have the same properties.

We can determine the caloric content of those almonds though: they weigh 0.57 lbs in earth gravity, so they are 5.5 x10^15 Cal (dietary label calories are kCal). We cannot extract that much from them (easily), but if we did, it would be something like this, in terms of energy release: Castle Bravo - Wikipedia.

1 Like

Must be an Aldi. You have to insert a quarter to get the nutritional information.

2 Likes

No, it’s an Ingles. They just seem to not always print nutritional information on the bulk items packaged there.

Took me a minute to figure out the boxes above. I have to wonder what the market for Zoom will be if we ever get back close to the old normal.

1 Like

It may drop down a little bit but similar apps and programs have been being used for decades without going away. It will probably drop back a bit but be more popular than pre covid. Even back when I was a teen we used Skype on an network to watch horror films together with screen sharing lol.

1 Like

So this is something y’all may or may not know. I don’t know for every dinosaur but for T. rex I do. It’s funny, but annoying , that this has STEM on it.

Anyways the error is that T-Rex is from the Cretaceous and was not even alive in the Jurassic. The movie was wrong and so is this.

2 Likes

That’s assuming it’s a T-rex… if it’s an allosaurus, it’s all good. :wink: But yeah, I’d expect that with an image like that, T-rex is what most kids (or adults) will think of.

2 Likes

I imagine it’s a T. rex. I also looked up just for the heck of it and the Triceratops is also from the Cretaceous. If that one on the bottom is a Wyoming bonehead, then it’s also from the Cretaceous. I think the t-rex would also have been separated from them by the western interior seaway too. But I really am getting beyond what I confidently know without googling it. I just remember seeing some video saying “ chomper “ would have never been able to fight Sarah “ land before time stuff “ because they were on separated by the sea but she would have fought boneheads potentially.

But I guess any spark to get kids into science is better than nothing. Sometimes. When I was like 4 me and a friend wondered off to a subdivision that was being built but had no one living in it yet and we found pipes under the ground and smashed them all with rocks to show people we found dinosaur bones.

1 Like

Those are definitely larger Tyrannosaurids, the skull has the right teeth and holes, and the other one is the bigger picture has two fingers on each hand. Tyrannosaurus and true Triceratops are Hell Creek Formation upper Maastrichtian of the Dakotas, Wyoming, and Montana.

The edaphosaurid or Dimetrodon-like thing (top) is early to mid Permian.

Pachycephalosaurs are common across Laurasia in the Cretaceous, so that doesn’t limit things much, other than not Jurassic

1 Like

I’ll take your world since I am certain you know more than I’ll ever know on this subject.

I did think Wyoming was isolated from the west coast during the Cretaceous. I’ll have to look at a map again. Either way you are right T. rex was in Wyoming. I always thought, snd think whatever I watched , mentioned them being found in California.

I wish I had another lifetime to live so I could dedicate it to learning paleontology and more about these long gone time periods. Any time I can dedicate to it though will be a byproduct of plant ecology and most likely centralized on Appalachia.

1 Like

There are a few tyrannosauroids that may have made it there (known from Utah or New Mexico). And the standard Maastrichtian terrestrial deposits are west of the seaway.

You would likely be interested in Appalachiosaurus montgomeriensis.

2 Likes

16 Likes

You can observe them through the door and tell that they aren’t broken yet, so this does not qualify as both. If we had the known geometry but with an opaque door (and no sound getting through), then it would work.

1 Like

Heheheheh

2 Likes

Does speculative evolution count?