Humor in Science and Theology

Oh, I got it! :slight_smile: thanks. yes, there is more culture there than I knew too. he actually makes fun of how many cultural allusions he has here 7 Signs You Grew Up Christian - YouTube

I think I got some of them! Not having grown up here, though, I thought that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was weeeeiiirrrd when I first saw them on a billboard on return from Africa.

If you have ever worked in a field of scientific research, then I hope you find this chart as funny as I do, although PIā€™s (i.e. principal investigators) donā€™t find the chart that funny in my experience.

11 Likes

I have never done formal research but it is funny!

Winning entry to date.

In honor of @Ashwin_s, @pevaquark, @Chris_Falter, @Mervin_Bitikofer, @T_aquaticus, @Richard_Wright1 who are dueling goodnaturedly in search of the truth, I am posting this classic sword dueling scene from Princess Bride:

https://couchcrunchers.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/a64qa.jpg?w=1140

1 Like

6 Likes

And when bad goes to worst, check their pockets for loose change.

2 Likes

Good one!

Does anybody remember which thread the recent ā€œmorphing facesā€ video was put in?

That was me. Donā€™t remember but Iā€™ll find out.

2nd Law of Thermodynamics thread, about a day ago.

1 Like

Iā€™ll post that here from youtube, if thatā€™s Ok. Good idea. Thanks. @Mervin_Bitikofer, @MarkD

1 Like

Thanks, Randy and @MarkD. That video is disturbing to view (at least for me). What does that say about me? On the one hand it fascinates the ā€œschool boyā€ side of me that has found hilarity in playing with faces using graphical manipulation programs. But on the other hand, this triggers something of a protest in me that this is grotesque. Are we so programed to trust our eyes, that when we see something so realistic-looking (even while our intellectual selves know that what our eyes are currently beholding is all fabricated bunk), the rest of my brain still sends a shudder down my spine?

1 Like

I find it fascinating how such drastically different looking creatures nonetheless have the same essential facial features: eyes, ears, mouth, nose. And how moving from one to the other is just a matter of spacing along with the occasional addition or subtract of a horn or a pair of glasses. I remember when I read Sean Carrolā€™s book marveling at the way a small change in a HOX gene can have such a dramatic change in how an individual is assembled in the womb (or egg).

But in looking to google to remember the author of the book this youtube video came up which really fits here. Enjoy.

2 Likes

This guy is brilliant! Iā€™ve subscribed. This one is easy to listen to.

1 Like

Not sure if this comic is humor or just commentary on some of the threads around here.

4 Likes

Another Babylon Bee, thought it was humorous especially as we have a lot of homeschoolers around. (linked to lots of ads for a Robinson self teaching curriculum, which is new to me. I thought it was satire also at first when I saw it included a 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica. Not sure what that is about)

2 Likes

1.) The earth can be whatever age you say it is. 6,000 years? Sure, go for it. 4 billion and some change? Knock yourself out. You could even tell your kids the earth is a virtual simulation implanted in our minds by machines that enslaved us after a war for control of the earthā€™s resources, if you want to.

Very good :slight_smile: thanks! Iā€™m going for the Sindarin course with my kidsā€“I wanted to learn it, too, anyway.

2 Likes

Phew! Iā€™m a bit too scared to check out the facebook comments on that one. :wink: Of course, I have to disagree with one point at least:

In addition to the obvious reasons like better test scores, family values, and the ability to ensure your children never, ever encounter a secular worldview before they turn 18ā€¦

I actually did encounter a secular worldview in a book once that was teaching me about how terrible they are, so clearly this is a bit of hyperbole. :wink:

3 Likes

While late-blooming homeschool kids might graduate high school when theyā€™re 13, the average homeschooler graduates well before puberty. A few outliers have even graduated before they were officially born.

:laughing::rofl::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Perhaps you can arrange for them to participate in an exchange program with a home-schooling family in Rivendell.

2 Likes