Humor in Science and Theology

3 Likes

One of da Vinci’s lesser known masterpieces…Vitruvian Pete Townshend Man

9 Likes

9 Likes

What a pointless waste of resource that would be. Won’t someone think of the rich and powerful!? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Maybe this has been around the block a few times and my senior memory has stashed it irretrievably, but it’s worth a little chuckle…

7 Likes

I have not seen that one prior! I just read it out to my wife and son, and we all had a great laugh. Thank you!

2 Likes

So the Jews went to the root of the problem and nipped it in the bud? (Poor little guy.)

3 Likes

Let’s be careful not to get too snippy with each other in this thread!

5 Likes

I know. Look what happened when one of the hoodlums got chippy with the other one in the movie Fargo. Lets just avoid all sharp objects … looking at you and your saber, @Klax.

2 Likes

This was in front of Spacex HQ on Earth Day

5 Likes

Not really hah-hah funny but I found it amusing and clever when I read it on Facebook several years ago. The cover photo was of two twins in utero.

In a mother’s womb were two babies. One asked the other: “Do you believe in life after delivery?” The other replies, "why, of course. There has to be something after delivery. Maybe we are here to prepare ourselves for what we will be later. “Nonsense,” says the other. “There is no life after delivery. What would that life be?” “I don’t know, but there will be more light than here. Maybe we will walk with our legs and eat from our mouths.” The other says “This is absurd! Walking is impossible. And eat with our mouths? Ridiculous. The umbilical cord supplies nutrition. Life after delivery is to be excluded. The umbilical cord is too short.” “I think there is something and maybe it’s different than it is here.” the other replies, “No one has ever come back from there. Delivery is the end of life, and in the after-delivery it is nothing but darkness and anxiety and it takes us nowhere.” “Well, I don’t know,” says the other, “but certainly we will see mother and she will take care of us.” “Mother??” You believe in mother? Where is she now? “She is all around us. It is in her that we live. Without her there would not be this world.” “I don’t see her, so it’s only logical that she doesn’t exist.” To which the other replied, “sometimes when you’re in silence you can hear her, you can perceive her.” I believe there is a reality after delivery and we are here to prepare ourselves for that reality…

11 Likes

Quads? :grin:  

Geez. I’m worried about how much I must owe for all the crack editing.

2 Likes

If you dig out your April 1988 Reader’s Digest and turn to Campus Comedy…

That was worth $400 (in 1988 dollars!), and I got a bumper sticker: “I earned money, fame and glory – Reader’s Digest bought my story” :grin: On the back of the check, though, was a release, so I won’t be getting any royalties from the miniseries based on it. Bummer.

8 Likes

(The student may have been from Utah.)

Wow, I didn’t know you were famous! :smiley:

I only know of one other person who had a joke accepted by RD, and it was my uncle. Here’s my paraphrase of it, even though it’s not exactly scientific or theological.

As the story goes, he was explaining to someone unfamiliar with farming that when their family raised sheep, pigs, or goats, they only named the ones that they were going to keep or sell. Any animal that was going to be slaughtered didn’t get a name. Otherwise, they were likely to get too attached to the animal.

“But,” the person asked, “what about your kids?”

“Oh, we name them,” he replied.

5 Likes

Good illustration of how Jupiter, with its massive gravity, keep most asteroids from smashing into us. (Jupiter is a gas giant, just like one of my dogs!)

3 Likes

Especially when the squirrels start knocking apples on the ground.

2 Likes

5 Likes

11 Likes