Humor in Science and Theology

Looks like Disney wants in on Hamm’s market. A race to the bottom.

1 Like

Joke I think, right? Being a missionary kid myself I can only imagine a parallel Gary Larson theme park with missionaries being slowly roasted over a fire…and tons of wisecracks…

Although I am not sure Disney would be favorable to missionaries. If it is an anthropological exhibit, they may tell all sides… the good, bad, and ugly.

2 Likes

I pegged that as being from the BabylonBee until I read the fine print. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Disney really is upgrading the Jungle Cruise–getting away from depicting natives as ignorant savages. But they’re not adding missionaries.

3 Likes

Of course, there was the missionary who was boiled in the pot and eaten, when one of the indigenous people committed that he was too tough and asked what he looked like. The other stated, " plump, with a shaved area on the top of his head. " The first then said, “You prepared him wrong, he was a Friar!”

7 Likes

Disney is pretty neutral toward religion. Still, they do have “Christmas around the world” in the parks and the magnificent Candlelight Processional concert series, which is actually a service of lessons and carols. With a Disney touch of having celebrity narrators reading the scripture readings!

They do try to avoid movies with religious themes, I think that’s because it generates too much controversy from both sides. They had “A Wrinkle in Time” not so long ago which many Christians attacked.

1 Like

I was thinking the other day of the irony that among those decrying the “cancel culture” are many who advocated the boycott of Disney etc.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s someone else’s fault that Santa’s distribution was uneven. When my uncle was young. he and all the cousins were at Grandma’s house on Christmas Eve. His 18-year-old uncle suddenly exclaimed “Did you hear something?!”, grabbed a shotgun, and hurried outside. BLAM! BLAM! He stomped back inside and announced “I told that old man to get those deer off our roof.”

5 Likes

5 Likes

You got me. Wine all over my monitor. I hope you’re happy now. :laughing:

2 Likes

I lived in mountains of northeast Tennessee for a year of rural medicine training. I appreciated the sense of humor of many folk there. Here are some examples of signs: (“Ye Must Be Worn Again Children’s Consignment”)

4 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

Children’s consignment vs Childrens consignment. The lack of an apostrophe might be indicative of human trafficking.

3 Likes

How important commas and apostrophes can be!

“Let’s eat grandma!”

3 Likes

6 Likes

Never gets old.

2 Likes

Yeah … sorry. I probably read that in here somewhere first and am giving its umpteenth go-around. A good bit of the funny stuff I read is somewhere in here - which I shamelessly repeat elsewhere and then right back here again! Great thing about being senile is that jokes are always ‘fresh’ … for me. It’s a sorry thing for all the rest of you though!

5 Likes

Me, too. I can’t remember to whom I’ve told what story – I’m in my anecdotage. :grin:

1 Like

Oh don’t apologise. I was lol-ing so much my wife thought Lockdown had become too much and I’d finally cracked :laughing:

5 Likes