Humor in Science and Theology

Got this from my partner.
the “drink” part remedy for Covid is not real advice from a primary care physician!

3 Likes

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/93244133_10207123071791081_1836799285904015360_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=1480c5&efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9&_nc_ohc=oJ-d5rkI-j0AX9z0L7Z&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&_nc_tp=14&oh=923932fe84711bbe45ed214243d1639c&oe=5EBB9BA1

5 Likes

The owner of an outlet mall who wants to reopen it Friday next week is getting some pushback.

2 Likes

Matthew 22:10-14, (Beaglelady version)

10 So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, the bad as well as the good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests.

11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing a mask. 12 He asked, ‘How did you get in here without a mask, friend?’ The man was speechless.

13 “Then the king told the attendants, ‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

14 “For many are invited, but few are covid.”

2 Likes

Ha! Our pastor actually preached on the first part of that parable this morning! I’ll have to share with him your paraphrase.

2 Likes

I believe the right intrepretation (or one of the intrepratations anway) of this parable is that putting on the righteousness of God is the way to get into the banquet. Am I right?

1 Like

An Anglican priest and a couple of parishioners review Dank Easter Memes. And he managers to make some good theological points.

2 Likes

I believe you are correct in my understanding. My wife said her study was that the host provided the wedding clothes, but any who were not wearing them were refusing grace and relying on their our righteousness, so to speak. Of course, it is often quoted in Arminian/Calvinism debates.

I’ve heard that interpretation, but I always wondered if it was correct. I think the cost would be prohibitive. I’ll have to look into it. I do know that in Jewish weddings today, the mother of the bride will change her clothes several times. Gotta look your best. Jewish celebrations in general are very elaborate.

Anyway, you reminded me that I need to post a picture I took at the museum–it’s a beautiful illuminated manuscript of a Jewish wedding contract, which the groom was required by Jewish law to provide to the bride. It’s from Tehran, Persia.

Some evolutionary memes that I’ve had been holding onto for a while and feel I could share.

2 Likes

Have you heard about the new way fuel efficiency is rated for cars during the pandemic? The unit of measure is in weeks per gallon.

1 Like

Thanks. for this. My 12 year old is cracking up right now watching this! It’s great.

would love to see that --maybe on the Art thread?

I wondered how they did that.

6 Likes

And if you use Word, you can write macros and automate it using onscreen buttons.

That extra formatting is called “epigenetics.” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I guess that means the “C” in Control-C stands for CRISPR?

2 Likes

Don’t let it get out of control. :grin: (Or is it too late? It is, in the case of SARS-CoV-2.)

Great idea! I’ll try to do that.

1 Like

I just saw a Non-Sequitur cartoon I think would be perfect here. I’ll link the forum where I saw it here and then describe it and copy the text in case that doesn’t work for you.

Okay the picture shows an old couple standing in front of what looks to be Saint Peter at a high desk. The old man, looking at the sign on the front of the desk, says to the woman “I always wondered how they could achieve peace and tranquility for an eternity”. On the front of the tall desk the sign reads: NO RELIGION BEYOND THIS POINT.

In case anyone hasn’t already seen it, I think this teacher’s song pretty much sums up what a lot of people are feeling during this time of self quarantining. Thinking of you, @Mervin_Bitikofer. - YouTube

5 Likes

Love it! Shared it with friends