Humor in Science and Theology

You have a good memory, I bet. Do you have to recite the previous ones to remember? I do, when I enter the last eight digits of e for mine.

Thanks a lot. Now I am going to have to change my password.

2 Likes

Ahhh - were you the one I heard that from? Sorry if repeating your humor … (and divulging your passwords).

2 Likes

I have an excellent memory. In fact I know and can recite by heart the first million digits of the decimal equivalent of 1/3. I’m currently working on the next million so I can get the world record. I had been using the last ten digits of that for my passwords but my accounts kept getting hacked. Hence my use of pi now.

7 Likes

Wow! I’m partial to 1/11 (if I verbalized it, I would be accused of trying to imitate Robin Williams using the wrong vowels :slightly_smiling_face:).

1 Like

I thought this was pretty funny. Over at Peaceful Science, Swamidass asks What is the original reference of this GAE image?

Turns out, the source is this 1985 book:

Here’s the GAE Synthesis in its Science Made Stupid context:

Seems the GAE model was originated in 1985 by Tom Weller in Science Made Stupid.

3 Likes

So that’s how it was done. Clever!

2 Likes

Wow! The last model looks amazingly like Genealogical Adam and Eve. Who would have thunk it!

1 Like

YHWH is the God of Irony.

Hum. Does make you think about that Augustine quote:
We must be on our guard against giving interpretations which are hazardous or opposed to science , and so exposing the word of God to the ridicule of unbelievers .

2 Likes
2 Likes

Can I buy a clue?

• Dense in Berkeley

Urine after eating asparagus has a very distinctive smell, so the urine sample could be identified by that. Interestingly, the ability to smell “asparagus urine” is genetically linked, so some people are unable to smell it.

1 Like

Hope sarcasm is permitted on this thread.
How many Dawkinists does it need to change a lightbulb?
none. They know that primitive people have evolved this obsession for light in this world but they can do much better as they know their way in the dark and can outgrow those primitive people. And being kept in the dark they will eventually evolve with the octopus eye, the superior design they always wanted, and who cares about such bollocks that it was designed to go with an octopus brain :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it oven compatible to make one in it?

Thank you. Not sure if that is common knowledge but if so my weak nose is probably the problem. Roses which others describe as having mild or average scent have none for me. On the positive side, flowers which some find unpleasant like Tagetes lemmonii or society garlic are merely interesting to me.

1 Like

My nose is not very good either, but asparagus urine is pretty distinctive, so you may well not have the gene to smell it. Of course, working in a medical office and testing urines in house, I suspect I have smelled more people’s urine than most so would be more aware. I also like asparagus.

1 Like

Yep, we bake pies in it regularly. :slight_smile:

Silly but cute, nerd love.

4 Likes

Had a profound spiritual conversation with my son, Ezra, today. Ezra is a month away from turning 3.

Ezra: daddy are you Jesus?

Liam: no son, I’m not Jesus.

E: oh… am I Jesus?

L: no sorry son. Jesus is someone very special.

E: is he big?

L: yes, very big!

E: bigger than me?

L: yes. Even Bigger than daddy!

E: oh. Is he your friend?

L: yes he is.

E: why?

L: because daddy trusts Jesus to rescue him. And he can be your friend too.

E: wow! (pauses, thinks) but Octonauts are coming to rescue… (trails off)

L: the Octonuats are coming to rescue you?

E: no daddy! Octonauts are coming to rescue Jesus!

5 Likes