Humor in Science and Theology

I sort of made fun of that in the RPG faantasy game I ran at my university: in one town I put in an exotic restaurant in Victorian style, with the motto, “Any meats you’d like to eat”. A smart-alec player fulfilled my expectation when the characters encountered this restaurant by declaring, “I want fillet of moon rat that fed in the wild on green cheese (a moon rat, of course, lived on the moon”.

The maitre di responded (in my best Jeeves manner), “Very good sir; we should have that for you in three days”. The player fell into my trap by asking, “What? How are you getting to the moon?” and a server began to sing,

"I’m goin’ ridin’ on a moon dragon – moon dragon! moon dragon!
"I’m goin’ ridin’ on a moon dragon – moon dragon! moon dragon!
*"And if I cannot get your rat, your special rat, your wild moon rat, *
“If I cannot get your rat–”

My players started throwing things at me so I had to duck.

1 Like

Oddly, that’s never happened in any group project I was in.

Though the first one in high school it may have had something to do with the fact that I wrote down who showed up and whether they were late, and recorded all the contributions everyone made… and that the teacher had said that if anyone doesn’t contribute they’d be graded on what they did on their own.

5 Likes

That’s hilarious. And not far off!

2 Likes

6 Likes

9 Likes

Brilliant! You sound like my kind of DM! What game were you playing?

1 Like

IMG_20230331_225139_01
From my 15 year old son

7 Likes

That kid knows how to get ahead. Seriously, it reminded me of Christy’s post about headless bodies and bodiless heads regarding marriage and the church.

4 Likes

Deleted by me. Never noticed the little emblem in the corner nor saw any words there. Regardless I don’t share like it either.

1 Like

Ouch.  

1 Like

A heavily modified version of the original AD&D. I called it “Servant” because a major theme of the system was that no matter how high you rise, you’re still serving somebody, the only question is do you pick whom you’re going to serve or are they picking you?

And to emphasize the point, there was a mad wizard in a tower whose bottom eight or so floors (and four basement levels) were firmly on the ground, and whose top half-dozen floors were visible more or less above those, up in the sky, while the three dozen or so floors in between were sort of shifted into another dimension (and tended to be larger on the inside than the ostensible diameter on the outside) – and this guy had servants who were L19 or L20 mages themselves, along with guards among whom the equivalent of a PFC was an eighth or ninth level fighter type.

One of the secrets of the game world was how big it was; the surface area was something like thirty-two times the Earth’s surface area yet had a gravity that gave a nice round 10 meters per second squared on the surface. One of my groups of players got creative and decided to sail off to find a rumored/legendary next continent to the east, and they took a trio of sages along to see what they could learn. When they made landfall after crossing about 120% of the distance across the Atlantic ocean – after sailing about the length of the coast of South America before leaving their home continent – the sages set up some instruments and by noting the times at which the three moons rose determined how far they’d come and the circumference of the planet. When they announced their results, a bit of meta-gaming ensued; one of the players started uttering under his breath while staring across the room and after a minute – during which we all remained silent – he looked at me and said, “The damned thing’s hollow!”

They had along a device that let one person only portal back home (a device that had to be renewed at a cost of some 100k gold), and they were on a friendly basis with one of the mad wizard’s aides, plus they figured if anyone knew the truth he would, so they sent their cleric back (the one character class the wizard had any respect for) to ask if the sages were right, and having caught the aide in a good mood the cleric learned that the world was constructed thousands of years earlier by the wizard’s father, and the family had been exiled from the inside… at which point the aide caught himself and shut up, mumbling, “You didn’t hear that from me!”

I actually worked out how thick the shell had to be assuming a surface structure similar to that of Earth, then the strength of that shell and found what I expected: it wasn’t strong enough by itself to hold together – so of course it was held together by a magical substance which exerted its own force of gravity for the inner surface without bothering the outside. One nice thing was that the shell was thick enough to allow for plate tectonics… so I bought one of those colored basketball-sized balls at a store, a pale blue one, and proceeded to transfer what I’d already mapped of the original continent and the new one, and added ten more for good measure, and marked off the plate boundaries in a shade of orange that contrasted joltingly with the pale blue of the ball. One of the players in another group was a geology major, so I roped him into helping figure out where various mineral deposits could be – he pointed out that the surface was probably accreted from bodies it ran into in space and so I could really put any minerals I wanted anywhere at all!

Somewhere in storage I still have all the files from over a century of game time including copies of the character sheets of every player in my various groups plus notes on every political system I worked up for the two continents down to royal family lineages… I sometimes think maybe I should find someone who would put it to good use given that I’m probably never going to run it again.

1 Like

That’s actually most likely the list of prayer requests…

3 Likes

Love that! What a great concept, and clearly well fleshed out too. I wish the offical D&D 5e comtent was even half as creative as what fans are able to homebrew.

Actually it’s not that hard when you have an accurate translation: once the idioms were understood, scholars recognized how the story was distorted by a straight-up translation and how it changed when the idioms were carried over into English. It wasn’t “children” taunting the prophet, it was the equivalent of a group of today’s gang members, and it wasn’t just making fun of the prophet for being bald; “Go up!” was the equivalent of “Die already!” and carried the implication that they would happily help the person achieve that.

So it was much more like this–

or even this–

than this–

Picture an elderly man walking along and a bunch of ‘gang-bangers’ surrounded him and start threatening him.

3 Likes

Interestingly, some ancient near east groups’ creation stories told it that way, that it was all done in an instant. In contrast, one of the points of the first Genesis Creation account was that God didn’t just throw the universe out there, He built it up slowly and methodically such that it could be called “Good!” That difference was drastic because in many of those other stories held that the gods didn’t get things totally right and like with a piece of software with a variety of bugs the gods kept having to do patches; the gods were portrayed as not entirely competent and their creation not all that great.

More interestingly, there were some church Fathers who regarded the Genesis Creation stories as allegory and that it really happened in an instant; I forget which one used the imagery that God created everything after the fashion of a craftsman unrolling a beautiful tapestry – sort of God as master weaver. St. Augustine was one, though occasionally waffled on the point; IIRC St. John Chysrostom was another.

1 Like

A friend and I who had all the same classes in grad school once started cram-review studying for finals Saturday morning and didn’t sleep until after our last final late Wednesday. We got back to his room after that last exam; I dropped into his recliner and he dropped onto one of those old “bean-bag” chairs and looked at each other… the next thing we knew it was almost noon on Thursday and there was sunshine streaming in through the window – and someone had come in and seen us and very kindly draped blankets over each of us. We stumbled to the showers, dragged ourselves to lunch, then went back to his room and slept till Friday morning.

I never did that again but it was worth it; both of us managed straight As that term. But that was when I figured out to pick class sections only secondarily for how they made my weekly schedule; primarily I picked them to make a better finals week than having all exams crammed into just three days!

4 Likes
3 Likes

6 Likes

In sermon today, pastor is introducing John 12…he asked, “Do you know what just happened on chapter 11?” My 15 yo son muttered to me, “Bankruptcy!” Haha

3 Likes

5 Likes