Humor in Science and Theology

I have to speak up for one church and its teen “missionaries”. For starters, they don’t call themselves missionaries, they call themselves “servants” because they go to serve and in hopes that someone will ask why. The specialty is concrete-brick buildings, and they don’t work alone, they always work alongside the locals – plus they start by digging for the foundation. For many it’s the first time in their lives that they ever got a blister! As for sightseeing, they rarely had the energy at the end of a ten-hour day. Pretty much always they came back a bit tougher, a bit stronger, a bunch humbled, having been exposed to a different part of the world.
These weren’t the week or ten-day ‘missions’ I’ve seen a lot of churches do, they ran a month, and the kids did like the actual missionaries did, living the way the locals lived including eating what the locals ate.
I wish as a kid I’d had that kind of opportunity; some of those kids come back with a deep understanding of the fact that the way they understand the world isn’t the same way everyone does (or should); I don’t think I encountered the reality of different worldviews until I was in my early twenties, and I know my life was poorer for it.

4 Likes

A vegetarian? Lettuce hope not. Hubbard is also the name of a variety of squash. And apparently the seeds were already germinating in his attic.

1 Like

They sound like wonderful young people.

1 Like

3 Likes

6 Likes

Context… it’s a matter of life and death!

2 Likes

I love that shirt:

CAUTION
Thesis writing
in progress

He also has a superb voice.

1 Like

I first heard that in about 1974, but the names were “Elijah” for the parrot and “Jesus” for the Rotty.
A Lutheran college professor used it to make a point; I’ve long forgotten the point, of course!

3 Likes

Have you heard his parody on eco-devo? It is the best.

2 Likes

One biology professor when I was in my university days commented on the idea that humans could be created by assembling human DNA molecule by molecule and putting it in a cell: that if all that information got sent across the stars to an alien civilization they would be unable to make viable humans because a great deal of what it is to be human resides in the DNA of the multitudes of bacteria that call our innards home – so he would say that the bacteria in our colons are evolutionarily advanced with us,

That joke reminds me of the guy who got a rescue dog from the animal shelter, and the dog had been named Jesús by his previous Latino owners, and would only answer to that name. He felt funny calling his dog “Jesus” so instead changed his name to Zeus. That way, the dog would respond when he said, “Hey, Zeus! Come here!”

2 Likes

Obviously God has trifocals.

2 Likes

Well, in accordance to my theology, he has progressive lenses.

2 Likes

This is so good.

1 Like

1 Like

As my sister would say, “That’s a lot of words!”
I”ll review on the morrow.
He has a gorgeous voice, though!

It’s hard to improve on Roger Miller. :slightly_smiling_face:

Speaking of…

Standing, it says “Give Thanks”, but from where I’m sitting in the pew it says “Give pumpkin π”!

5 Likes

It may not be theologically sound, but it checked all my boxes to be funny.

A. Knock Knock!
B. Whose there?

A. Jesus.
B.Jesus who?
A. Cast this one into hell too.

4 Likes

Sounds like Montey Python.