Humor in Science and Theology

xkcd: Washing Machine Settings

8 Likes

The frustrating thing, is that these days most manuals are online, so if you have a question, you have to ask Da Google.

5 Likes

8 Likes

Or they are in the cursed wiki-, or even worse, the anathama listserve- format, where people will actually post “Sorry, I don’t know,” or the wrong answer. my qustions are ALWAYS part of a closed thread that was started 12 years ago and for which no functioning answer was ever provided.

1 Like

3 Likes

2 Likes

My quarterly contribution to this thread:

7 Likes

As long as they’re from a rich prince requesting a deposit of money to help release their inheritance that can be shared.

4 Likes

Poor Boy by the Split Enz

My love is alien, I picked her up by chance
She speaks to me in ultra-high frequency
The radio band of gold
Gonna listen 'Til I grow old

Oo hoo hoo
What more can a poor boy do?
Oo hoo hoo
Oo hoo hoo hoo

The crackle of the radio
The message in the evening sky
You’re looking at an interplanetary Romeo
I’ll never see her face
Between us there’s too much space

Keep losing you

What more can a poor boy do? Yeah
What more, What more

What more can a poor boy do? Yeah
What more, What more

1 Like

gol, gol … GOL*

*[gaffawing out loud]

2 Likes

Split Enz. I knew I recognized the name, though I never bought the records. Their 1980 hit (the year I graduated high school) I Got You:

1 Like

Time and Tide is their masterpiece. It’s gorgeous. Poor Boy and I Got You are from True Colors which got then some commercial success in the U.S. after Waita made them more widely known in the South Pacific. It’s a band that suffered from the challenges of being young men and trying to figure things out. Tim Finn still makes beautiful music, and Neil went on to start Crowded House (with which Tim sometimes worked). Even their earlier, punkier music was so much more musically interesting and grounded than most of what was going on in pop music at the time.
“Ghost Girl” always makes me think of @SkovandOfMitaze . Not a lot of New Wave horror music out there. Also “Wake up Charlie” fits the “potential” horror bill.

2 Likes

Of course I remember Crowded House. Just to bring things up to date, a current South Pacific band that fits the bill is Gang of Youths. The core of the group first met in 2002 (age 10) at Hillsong church in Sydney and officially formed in 2011. They released a fantastic album in 2017 and relocated to London, but the lead singer/songwriter Dave Le’aupepe’s dad died the next year. When he got his dad’s birth certificate and followed up, his father was born in Samoa, not New Zealand, and was 10 years older than he claimed. He also left behind two sons in Samoa that Le’aupepea never knew.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/gang-youths-frontman-opens-up-about-late-father-new-record-2022-02-25/

“It’s not a unique story in indigenous or black families … It’s a common thread in all families … people turning their back on what they were to become what they want to be. And that was my father,” Le’aupepe said.

Sorry for the digression. Back to your regularly scheduled humor content!

1 Like

5 Likes

Yet one more (digression).
Thanks for the article and the song. More good Kiwi music.

1 Like

What is wrong with this?
(Hint: what color are sunspots actually?)

xkcd: Sunspot Cycle

Light levels with an all-sunspot sun would be like an overcast day, but much oranger (between Arcturus and Antares in black-body spectrum).

2 Likes

9 Likes

4 Likes

Barn Swallows too.

2 Likes

Then there’s the “doing field work” pattern: random small holes, vertical tears in the seat, and abraded knees. My trousers will probably be more like that after 10 years of use, but I haven’t worn remotely the same size long enough to know.

2 Likes