Humor in Science and Theology

4 Likes

I don’t have too much trouble with the irony – the world is still not escaping him: BCE/CE → Before Christ’s Era/Christ’s Era.

There is irony in the frequent naming of God and Jesus in profanity as well. Why not Krishna or Buhda?

Actually, I think “BCE” is supposed to mean “Before Common Era” … so (sneaky as it might seem), it still does succeed in being a non-sectarian label. We now live in the “Common Era” … you wouldn’t suppose for a moment that those trying to escape the sectarian labels (not all of whom are non-Christians, btw) would have intended our present moment to give privilege to a label such as “Christ’s Era” do you?!

2 Likes

Be prepared for unexpected guests!

3 Likes

I don’t see the cranberry sauce.

3 Likes

It is the stratum above the green stuff

3 Likes

Perfect for every private fallout shelter.

2 Likes

I’m surprised you supposed that I didn’t know that. There is irony, however, in that the letters can still be read as before Christ’s era. That was my point.

1 Like

My bad. I had no body language, or facial expressions - twinkles in your eye to help me out.

2 Likes

You had my age. :wink: (I’ve been around the block a few times, but I am hobbling now. ; - )

2 Likes

3 Likes

9 Likes

I neede that, Randy!

1 Like

Actually I’ve seen it as “Before Christian Era” as well as “Before Common Era”. I note that stating there was an era before Christ would be a bit of a heresy with a few Christian groups.

1 Like

Huh. Maybe they haven’t read Revelation?

I tend to dare to date things as BC (before Covid) and A C (after Covid). Of course, the intercovid period is lost to recorded history.

5 Likes

7 Likes

It certainly feels that way, Phil!

1 Like

As far as my personal life goes, I sometimes refer to “BC” as “Before Children,” considering what a major lifestyle change it was.

7 Likes

My given name would be fairly easy to do with element symbols, given that it can be done with all solids (Ti, Mo, Th, Y). Thorium is sufficiently radioactive that it shouldn’t be worn continuously, but would be fine for an hour or two at a time occasionally.

xkcd: What If 2 Gift Guide

2 Likes