Humor in Science and Theology

I think the written form of low German was created afterward, but there are now Bibles in this language: De Bibel.

I also grew up hearing low German, mainly from one grandmother and my parents when they talked to her. After I took five years of German in high school, she was quite disappointed that I still couldn’t understand her. I was disappointed that my existing repertoire of German had been almost completely useless (Nigh yo, danke shön, etc.).

2 Likes

Good. That reminds me of what one wag said–the reason the Israelites wandered in the desert for 40 years is because even then, men wouldn’t ask for directions.

3 Likes

Fascinating! I had not seen any such book. I’m under the impression that the German Bibles that my mom would have grown up with were just ordinary German in their writing but that what was spoken out loud would then be low German – as in one written language shared between two dialects. I could be wrong about that. You would think I would know more about such things in my own family history; but alas! I don’t.

I grew up hearing (and using) the phrases “EtaComa” and “Nigh yo” (using half-way phonetic spellings here) shouted across the farm yard. We all knew what that meant!

1 Like

Just to keep things going in the humor area, appropriate perhaps to this forum at times:

11 Likes

Ha!    

He is everywhere, in the heavens and the earth…

4 Likes

Did you hear about the Southern Baptist preacher who bought a used car?
He didn’t have the vocabulary to run it!

1 Like

This expresses the writing philosophy of some people who post here on occasion, probably because they spend too much time in academia:

10 Likes

Banket is everyones favourite :smile:

1 Like

Great one. Hey, that sounds like medicine jargon in general!

The minister of a church in a Southern town discovered there was no grape juice for communion. No stores were open, but a persimmon tree on the church property was coming into fruit, so he quickly squeezed some persimmon juice.
It turned out that the persimmons were not quite ripe, so after communion, the minister said, through puckered lips, “And now we will all whistle the Doxology.”

3 Likes

After I got to the last line, @beaglelady, all I could do was chuckle: he he he he.

Help me out, @Mervin_Bitikofer… I’m a city boy.

What do those 2 phrases translate into?

“Come and eat.”
and
“Okay!”

1 Like

With the discussion on Calvinism, I thought this new insurance product was of interest:

11 Likes

Speaking of things apropos to science, truth, and everything … did you all catch the link at the bottom of the article to this Babylon Bee article?

Enjoy.

2 Likes

Oh my. Good one. I run into that in my office, with some insisting I should give equal consideration to unproven and often dangerous alternative therapies.

Oh, the Babylon Bee is a gold mine for humor for our crowd…

A couple poking fun at Ken Ham…

And a couple hilarious satires of old earth concordism…

And I find the text (not just the title) of this one delightful… but maybe that’s just because I have young kids who know about the content matter!

8 Likes

I had not heard of this site till this month…good one! Thanks

1 Like

Glad you liked it! It’s sort of a Christian spin-off of The Onion. Which is, of course, hilarious.

…like this article (which @Mervin_Bitikofer will certainly appreciate), for instance, which I thought was just comic gold!

7 Likes