Humor in Science and Theology

The Amoeba People would probably go over pretty well then.

Video — The Amoeba People

They claim to be aliens that got their clothing pointers from 50’s NASA videos.

1 Like

He ate insects?

1 Like

Makes you wonder if he had a more active form of that broken chitinase enzyme.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s been bugging me.

6 Likes

Yep. particularly beetles. He also ate armadillos and tortoises. Exotic meat was rather in vogue for the discerning Victorian gentleman it seems.

4 Likes

Getting a taste is such an under appreciated aspect of meeting new species these days. As far as I know they/we are all made of meat.

5 Likes

If it weren’t for you, my world would be so much smaller.

3 Likes

To gross students out, I occassionally declared “Fleisch ist Fleisch.” (Meat is meat.)

2 Likes

Did you add the Hannibal Lector smacking of the lips as you rhapsodized “served with a nice Chianti?

1 Like

This reminds me of a restaurant review I saw some time ago:

“The food was so bad the Donner party would have passed it up!”

2 Likes

I was reading elsewhere where fried cicadas are a thing for some here in the US. I guess if we eat shrimp…

2 Likes

I’ve also heard that John the Baptist might have been eating locust bean, i.e. carob, not locusts.

Crunchy grasshoppers in a market stall. Not my favorite, but adds a little crunch in your salads. Familiar sight for Christy.

6 Likes

William Buckland was pretty impressive in trying (and serving to guests) essentially anything. Exotic pets (like the crocodile) post-decease, along with mole (very bad), panther, mouse, and part of Louis XIV’s mummified heart.

His son followed in this hobby.

3 Likes

A story from a colleague in Florida, which is why another colleague of his will not eat out with him ever again:

Apparently, he was familiar with a Chinese restaurant in the panhandle where, if one knew the owner (and could order in Chinese), one could order the “Cat with special sauce”. He ordered this one time when he and the other colleague were in the area. Apparently, it primarily consisted of bones and “special sauce”, with not much meat.

Then there was my father’s noticing (don’t remember where) that the local Chinese restaurant was across the street from the veterinary hospital.

4 Likes

I have had a “cricket pop”, i.e. lollipop with cricket in the middle (my uncle gave it to me). The bad part was the lollipop, which tasted like orange cough syrup (without alcohol). I just dissolved the candy and ate the cricket, which was just bland and crunchy. Same for Larvets (mealworms) (gift from the same uncle).

We returned the favor by giving him snacks in a (sadly, now-unavailable) box (from Archie McPhee) which proclaimed itself to be a “Turn Your Christmas Ham into a Shrunken Head Kit” (the other options were the “As-Seen-On-TV Gravy Fountain” and the “Hotdog Homestead”–think Lincoln Logs)

4 Likes

How does one’s mind jump from Larvets to towelettes…

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/215p8a/a_moist_owlet/

During the 17th century, finding and using “unicorn” fossilized bones in folk remedies was quite popular in Germany. In Magdeburg, there was an Einhornhöhle (unicorn cave) were the partial skeleton of a wooly rhinoceros was discovered. Mistakenly thinking that it was in fact fossilized unicorn bones, a Prussian scientist, Otto von Guericke, reconstructed the beast. The results speak for themselves I think.

7 Likes

8 Likes

What are you talking about? He’s beautiful!

1 Like