Humor in Science and Theology

My brother and I still maintain that there is something very wrong with the vast pronunciation differences between “Aristotle” and “Chipotle” despite their similarities in spelling. How long will the English language be able to have it both ways before a unified pronunciation of “-otle” emerges? :joy:

7 Likes

5 Likes

11 Likes

You forgot the 5-gallon jug of distilled water.

2 Likes

The 200C dilution is so extreme that the final pill contains none of the original material. Oscillococcinum - Wikipedia

4 Likes

The pronunciation should emphasize two syllables: Oscillococcinum

5 Likes

@dale, I’ve heard the water remembers. Although I can’t.

2 Likes

If you can’t pronounce it you shouldn’t take it. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Or for any other reason.

On the bright side, the only side effect is poverty.

2 Likes

Well poverty, and continued disease progression beyond what pure placebo can cure.

2 Likes

8 Likes

Witty name. i always heard the third guy as “a billy goat.”

1 Like

Or “Shake the bed, make the bed, and abed you go.” (believe it or not, I heard that from Jimmy and Tammy Faye Bakker as a kid, on a record of theirs from before they were televangelists. Jimmy Bakker came from Muskegon, my dad’s hometown).

One of my favorite responses to those who use the naturalistic fallacy:

13 Likes

10 Likes

I remember a TV spot decades ago where the speaker was making the same point about all the health nuts extolling the virtues a product by saying “It’s natural!” (I even managed to dredge up his unusual name in my senior memory: Covert Bailey.) He said “Syphylis is natural!” XD

6 Likes

This is a Smithsonian article that echoes what you say.

Ten Natural Products That Kill | Science| Smithsonian Magazine

2 Likes

Randy, it’s good to see you made it out alive. Between PBB and JB and PFAS, contamination levels in Michigan make our survival seem a miracle.

I love it. My personal list is way too short. Good to have a few additions.

1 Like