Humor in Science and Theology

2 Likes

9 Likes

This is what the LORD says: If I have not established my covenant with the day and the night and the fixed laws of heaven and earth…
Jeremiah 33:25

2 Likes

1 Like

What if all this time, Ken was simply a post-ironic troll. :exploding_head:

1 Like

5 Likes

If c is increased, the following (among others) things happen:

1: radiometric decay slows down (linearly).
2: photon energies go way up.
3: atoms can no longer exist because the electrons get pulled into the nucleus and merge with the protons.

3 Likes

Yes, but, were you there? Something something miracles something something…

:crazy_face::smirk:

5 Likes

As a natural born skeptic, I asked myself, “Is this meme accurate? Did Ham REALLY say this???”
Yep:

by Ken Ham on September 2, 2010
If God created the world, why are stars millions of light years away?

Brendon, what a question! Yes, we know from the dates God gives us in the Bible that He did create the whole universe about 6,000 years ago. When we hear the term light-year, we need to realize it is not a measure of time but a measure of distance, telling us how far away something is. Distant stars and galaxies might be millions of light-years away, but that doesn’t mean that it took millions of years for the light to get here, it just means it is really far away!

1 Like

so is he saying that something might be faster than light?

1 Like

His mouth?
……

Credibility: 0

Butt of jokes: 1

2 Likes

No, Ham seriously means that God created the universe with the light, etc. already in progress as if it had developed over billions of years.

2 Likes

Wow! Do you have a reference for that? This is good thought fodder. Thanks.

4 Likes

That is what I recall. Which means those galaxies we see in our telescopes billions of light years away not only do not exist now as we see them, but apparently never existed as we see them. Not sure what to do with that.

3 Likes

That sounds like the omphalos hypothesis

1 Like

This kind of YEC rationalization is the ultimate example of Karl Popper’s non-falsifiability criterion. You cannot conceive of any possible evidence that would tell against the 6000 year-old earth; you can’t even prove that the earth wasn’t created five minutes ago. God could have created you as an adult with memories of growing up.
These claims are not worth debating scientifically or historically precisely because they are non-falsifiable.
Christian belief in the resurrection of Jesus can be investigated and debated because you can conceive of evidence (if it existed) that would tend to disprove it.
(I have heard that Popper’s ideas are not totally accepted by other philosophers of science. Even so, falsifiability was a useful tool for thinking about physics.)

3 Likes

Learning a new term with the college kid (home for the weekend), while standin’ around the kitchen — laughing. A LOT.

1 Like