Humor in Science and Theology

2 Likes

Gotta love when people ask if Schrodinger actually killed a cat

On a side note, the next season of Genndy Tartakovsky’s Primal premiers this Summer, so there’s another thing we have to look forward to!

It really, physically hurts to know this is going on.

1 Like

This came home from Sunday school a couple of weeks ago.

1 Like

While I do not see as much AIG materials in church these days, it is a major concern as to how to respond to them, both to our children, and to the church leaders. We do not want to undermine our children’s teachers, yet also want to have them know that the Bible is true and relevant to the world around them.

3 Likes

Since our church does use it, I’ve told my daughter that she might hear something different from people in church but that’s ok, and reinforce the parts that we do agree with in the lessons.

4 Likes

That is a great reminder @jpm ! And a great practice in engaging with the more important things.

2 Likes

You could have a little fun with that. Maybe putting platypusses or maybe sloths in #6, though I think they are looking for dinosaurs, which oddly is even more bizarre.

1 Like

I suppose the answer is dinosaur, but that’s literally not in the text, is it? Maybe giant sloth? Platypus would be good, since the “even” could refer to the fact that they somehow had to cross a continent and a body of water after the flood.

2 Likes

I have a facetious complaint. :slightly_smiling_face: All of this about hamishness is not humor and off-topic. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Humor is in the eye of the beholder. I think there is some validity to seeing it as humorous, especially non-avian dinosaurs on the ark.

3 Likes

Like I said, it wasn’t a serious complaint. ; - )

2 Likes

I really get in trouble sometimes when I make witty (or half-witty!) remarks on the internet, only to be taken seriously. Like they say, explaining the joke is like dissecting a frog: You learn something in the process, but the frog dies.

9 Likes

I’ll try not to say something utterly regrettable, but we went through this stuff at our church. We gave it some time and then contacted the pastors and were allowed to have copies of the manuals, bring our daughters to our Sunday school class, etc. I have often wondered, if we should have left back then. The distortion of the Gospel is enough reason. The distrust we had to create in attempting to make sure our girls understood the Gospel according to Jesus, not AIG, is tragic.
If it didn’t cut so close to home, I might laugh. But not any more.

7 Likes

I could have labeled it for the “Irony in Pseudoscience and Theology” thread :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You could be even more unhelpful, and write Elliptio, pleurocerids, or axolotls, those being New World freshwater organisms which can’t handle being covered in salt water for that long, let alone boiling salty mud slurry. Hence, they can neither survive the flood outside the ark, nor make it to the ark.

3 Likes

8 Likes

This has surely been around here before, but it’s probably the main reason this Baptist kid could loosen up a bit.

8 Likes

8 Likes