Humor in Science and Theology

That’s dark, Phil. Had to stare for a bit before I caught on. Reminds me of the “Trolley scenes” in “The Good Place”.

Thought this was a bit amusing. The guy is more of an friend of an acquaintance but me and the other guy had been talking about better ways to interpret theology. Despite being some form of Catholicism in Slovakia it seems they are heavily influenced by YEC including the others I met through him. Anyways his friend , that I don’t really know, has been going on about how he feels god putting it on his heart to snow me the truth and that evolution is a lie and ect… somehow the discussion got around to the giant sea serpents like Levithan from the Bible and while praying he said he came across a secular link to that creature and knows god wants him to share it to me. He said that he even had a dream of how ferocious this animal is. He wanted me to see how giant it was and that even the picture shows it.

For a second I was thinking, that’s really cool and yeah it’s big but I’m not sure how that is supposed to change anything I believe. Then I realized pretty quickly in like a second that it was most likely really small and that yellow line is the size snd larger picture is not to scale. So I went to the page and it outright says it’s a small snake with hind legs.

So I asked him if he was just joking or if he was aware of the creatures size. That it’s small. So he checked and came back and seriously said he was misunderstanding the groaning of the spirit and that this is evidence for the snake in the garden and that it used its body to wrap around the tree and it’s feet to hand a fruit to Eve. He’s not even joking. He’s dead serious that he believes this lol.

I was just like…… what about the vision of the giant snake……

5 Likes

That indirectly reminds me of the YEC (after I had said that truth comes from the reality of the data in nature and the reality of the data in the Bible, and if there’s an apparent conflict, our interpretation of one or the other or both is flawed) who wanted chapter and verse where the Bible said that truth comes from reality. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

2 Likes

That’s pretty funny – the older we get, the funnier it is. Both of my parents did, and both my wife and myself have (barring any terribly mutilating accident or necessary autopsy, in which cases the Anatomical Board doesn’t want them).

1 Like

This has theological implications, if you’re familiar with the epistles attributed to Paul (it does anyway, even if you’re not :slightly_smiling_face:):

4 Likes

5 Likes

I laughed at this one several times. It’s satirical and just really jabs at the “get rich” posts. Even with the outfit and the cars behind it lol.

5 Likes

5 Likes

LOL! The prosperity Gospel is such a crock!

4 Likes

7 Likes

7 Likes

Too true.  

7 Likes

6 Likes

10 Likes

You have a much richer and abundant vein of humor in your life. These are all excellent. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Mark!

2 Likes

6 Likes

4 Likes