How I Finally Told My Church I’m an Evolutionary Creationist—and How I Should Have

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://biologos.org/blogs/archive/how-i-finally-told-my-church-im-an-evolutionary-creationistand-how-i-should-have

Thanks for the humility expressed in self examination and trying to find another way to talk with people in your church.

I find the same tendencies as you indicated. I’m not a pastor, but probably am the only EC in my congregation.
"But I also know that my motives were not entirely pure. As a pastor I relish the role of provocateur: “Here’s something you need to think about.” But is it always true that every Christian in my church needs to think about (in this case) the proper interpretation of Genesis 1? Yes, good teachers raise important questions, but they do so helpfully and lovingly. I didn’t raise the issue out of a love for my congregation and a desire to see them whole before Christ. No, I mostly raised the issue because it made me feel important, smart, and counter-cultural in my own setting.

"In fact—if I’m being completely honest—as much as I love my church members, sometimes I don’t love them enough. I get frustrated with some of their perspectives, and sometimes vent my frustration by trying to get under their skin with theological questions. It allows me to hide behind the guise of “But these are important topics Christians shouldn’t be afraid of” defense.

“Maybe they are important topics, worthy of discussion. But I should never bring them up simply to prove a point about how right I am.”

Using the book Four Views on Creation, Evolution and Intelligent Design for a discussion study group may be very helpful. May I ask how you implemented discussion? For example, did some from each point of view offer to present research? Who moderated?

Thanks.

I appreciate the honesty here. I think this kind of reflection is important before speaking out on a lot of different topics besides just this one. I don’t know whether “virtue signaling” is the right term, but we are right to keep an eye on our pride that wants to show everyone how “right” we are. Sometimes it’s a lot easier to see the pride on the “side” we’ve left, and forget that it doesn’t go away just because our views have changed.

5 Likes

This sort of brings up a subject I have thought about and commented on before: Should we concentrate the discussion of the science-faith debate more outside of church and in para-church settings rather than in church itself? Is it hypocritical to NOT discuss it in the church setting, or is it a distraction from worship to bring it up in church?
I do find it odd and a little disturbing that controversial issues are almost as a rule not comfortable to discuss in most churches, and get swept under the rug, yet can understand why that happens. We want to promote unity, yet the failure to be open seems to be a symptom of lack of trust of our fellow church members. Unfortunately, that appears to be for good reason at times.

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Unity in ministry with people who have diverse views on origins

A post was split to a new topic: Why reject Genesis on science but not the historical resurrection?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Why reject Genesis on science but not the historical resurrection?

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.