How hypocrisy viewed during the Apostles’ era and when The Incident at Antioch occured?

I actually addressed this above: the words Paul uses – and Paul is generally very careful with his choice of words – does not indicate that “hypocrite” is something permanent about Peter, it is a short aberration. Just that choice of passive voice and aorist tense contains or at least points to the Gospel: we may find ourselves crying, “What a hypocrite I am!”, but we can know that as with Peter it is the new man, the man in Christ, who will win; the old sinful flesh still has power, but as with John the baptist, it is decreasing while Christ is increasing.

I’d say there are two different situations there: Paul “became like a Jew”, etc. in order to show them respect so they would listen to the Gospel and be saved, so it’s in the context of winning others to Christ; Peter was among those already won to Christ and so his action is measured differently.

Though it’s worth noting that his action was measured differently because of who he was: Peter, sometimes called “first among the Apostles”. He held what used to be called an “office”, a position of authority and responsibility; as opposed to a job this is a 168-hour per week duty/function, not an eight-hour or even twelve-hour a day task. If it had been just some ordinary Christian Jew from Galilee, Paul probably wouldn’t have confronted him publicly but would have taken him aside and admonished him to correct his behavior, but it was Peter’s always-on-duty function to proclaim and teach the Gospel in word and deed.

Not if they read Greek, which when Paul wrote this letter would have been most people; as I noted, the verb form indicates this was a temporary error, not a characteristic of Peter’s identity. I think rather Christians reading about this would have been encouraged in a way, thinking that if even Peter could stumble and recover then so could they.

The first was a strong custom, largely because back then the house of any Gentile was almost certain to have statues of figurines of one or more pagan gods. eating together was different; obviously they wouldn’t eat in a Gentile’s house, or in a pagan temple, or even in a hall where pagan images were present, but then as now a lot of business got conducted over meals and so Jews were free to meet and eat with Gentiles in neutral places (I suspect that a lot of such meetings were outdoors since it was hard to find a public building, even a rented hall, that didn’t have pagan images).

Heh. There really wasn’t one; the Roman empire had so many accepted gods and goddesses and so many different peoples an customs that while the obvious rules like no murder were shared, some things that were mandated by one person’s “Law” could be forbidden by someone else’s “Law”. It’s one reason that Rome’s law at that time was centered on keeping things quiet.

Every different people in the Roman empire had their own customs and rituals. Paul as a Jew could therefore be expected by everyone to follow Jewish customs and rituals, which is where whichever type of vow he made fits. It isn’t a mask when you follow your culture. Additionally, when as a Jew Paul honored the customs of others that itself was a message to those others; it said that they didn’t have to turn themselves into Jews in order to gain what the Messiah offered.

I have often pondered the fact that it was common knowledge across the empire that Jews were expecting a deliverer – which was probably a joke to most people; after all, what kind of deliverer could knock down Rome? But then when Paul came announcing that this deliverer, this Messiah had come and He was for everyone, not just Jews, that would have made a fair number of people sit up and think.

Peter was certainly more concerned with his reputation, with not wanting to be looked down on by people from his culture and religion. He was also probably feeling out of his element since he had grown up and lived in a primarily Jewish society. This was, after all, in Antioch, which was a very cosmopolitan city: founded by Greek general, it had been an imperial (Seleucid) capital, then a provincial capital once Rome captured the area. The general who founded it encouraged Greeks from all over the Mediterranean and clear to India to come settle in it, and others came as well. By the time of Christ, Antioch was on par with Alexandria as the center of Jewish culture across the Roman empire and beyond. It sat on two different trade routes and could have merchants from anywhere between Britain on the west and China to the east. It would have taken Peter some time to adjust!

1 Like

Thank you for your response, Roymond.

LOL, I’m sorry because I still can’t help but wondering about the “hypocrisy” :see_no_evil:.

I assumed that there is no revealing what is in Paul’s mind about “hypocrite and afraid” in his letter… (so the sentence is just something like below) : (not a verse)

When Peter came to Antioch, Peter eat together with the Gentiles. But when the James group arrive, Paul saw Peter separate himlself and all other Jews follow Peter's action. According to Paul, their action means that they were not walking in line with the truth of the gospel.

Then I make an experiment to two of my Christian friends (friend-A and friend-B, they don’t know to each other) who doesn’t know Galatians 2 verse and they are not a fanatic Christian but they know about Paul and Peter as the apostle. So I gave them the fake verse like above.

Then I ask them if Peter is a hypocrite or not in that event. To my surprise, friend-A answered yes and friend-B answered no :crazy_face:. So now I think that it also depends on the individual view besides the cultural view.

Just found from the internet about hypocrisy:

Behaviours and attitudes may diverge to produce inconsistency for many reasons: norms that override attitudes in influencing behaviour (Fishbien & Ajzen, 1975), low perceived self-efficacy (Ajzen, 1985), habits (Ronis, Yates, & Kirscht, 1989), and/or the high cost of behaviour/belief consistency (Batson et al., 1999). That said, discrepancies between beliefs and behaviour are not always perceived as hypocritical.

So I think that’s why the result can be different: Paul and my-friend-A perceived Peter’s action as hypocritical, me and my-friend-B didn’t.

Failing to practice what one preaches reflects explicit behavioural inconsistency, but it also could suggest disingenuousness while preaching the initial message. As seen above, recognizing disingenuousness seems to be important in identifying hypocrisy.

Seeing Peter’s explicit behavioural inconsistency suggested to Paul (my-friend-A) that there is disingenuousness while Peter preaching the initial message. Hence Paul (my-friend-A) judge Peter as a hypocrite.

Please cmiiw.

This could explain why when one’s preaching is perceived as honourable, failure to follow through is not always viewed as hypocritical (Monin, Pizarro, & Beer, 2007) and the resulting inconsistency is not perceived as fully intentional.

Above is my view about Peter. To me, Peter’s preaching is honourable. Peter’s failure in that event is not intentional and I don’t view it as hypocritical —> “Hypocrisy” is not present in that event.

But since the article say “is not always”, then that’s why to Paul and my-friend-A, Peter’s failure is viewed as hypocritical.

People perceive and judge intentional behaviour differently than they do unintentional behaviour, holding others accountable more for intentional behaviours (Malle, 1999). Thus, a key ingredient of hypocrisy appears to be the perception of intentional misleading during the “preaching” part of the process.

If I push myself to accept Paul judgement that Peter is a hypocrite, then I should put Peter as hypocrite-A or hypocrite-B (from my previous post) where either in hypocrite-A or hypocrite-B, there is intentional misleading during the “preaching” part from Peter.

Now I understand that as the article say that failure/temporary error can be viewed differently. And based on my experiment, when there is no “hypocrisy” mentioned in my fake verse, then both my friends knowledge is the same with Paul’s knowledge which is: Peter separate himself. And the result on how temporary-error is viewed in one’s mind(hypocrite or not hypocrite) depends on the individual.

==================================================================

Hypothetical case:
Peter is not present there. Paul is eating together with all whom Paul already won (both Jews/Barnabas group and Gentiles there) and they know that Paul’s teaching is: “to the Jew he will become like a Jew in order to win Jews”. So, no need to worry about them, they will understand it and won’t think negative about Paul. Then Jews from James arrive…

• X. If Paul does not separate himself, why doesn’t he ? Why doesn’t Paul become like a Jew in order to show the James group respect and to win the James group ?
  • Y. If Paul separate himself to show James group respect and to win James group, will the Jews there (Barnabas and his gang) say that Paul is not walking in line with the truth of the gospel?

Please cmiiw.

(continued below)

Paul preaches:
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

I wonder what is “the law” (for righteousness) in Jew perspective and what is “the law” in Gentile perspective?

Paul preaches:
if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all.

I assume that the message of the Gospel: “Jews = Gentiles, no distinction”.
Now, if the Jewish custom is involved, does that mean something like:

• A. For both Gentiles and Jews who choose circumcision with the belief that it is necessary for salvation, Paul say that Christ will be of no value to them and that means Christ is NOT the end of the law for righteousness
  • B. For both Gentiles and Jews who choose circumcision without the belief that it is necessary for salvation, Paul say there is value of their faith in Christ and that means Christ is the end of the law for righteousness.

Please cmiiw.

Paul preaches:
I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law

Now, for the Gentiles in #B, I wonder why Paul’s declaration is not align with the leaders decision at Jerusalem Council.

Please cmiiw.

I’m confused. Doesn’t that mean that Peter is also does not put a mask when he separate himself because Peter is just following his own culture ? Please cmiiw.

Still confused. I conclude from your quote above:
even before Peter visit Antioch, in the eye of the James group, Peter has already a “reputation” which is : Peter is a Jew who follow Jewish custom/culture.

So… when James group arrive, Peter is afraid that if the James group see him eating with the Gentiles on the same table, then the group will look down on him as a Jew who is not following Jewish custom/culture. That’s why Peter separate himself to show James group that he, as a Jew, is following Jewish custom/culture. So then (again, to me), Peter does not put a mask when he separate himself because Peter is just following his own culture. No ? Please cmiiw.

To me, my problem is, there is no other verse about what is Peter afraid of. So, any readers can speculate : Peter is afraid that James group:

• will beat him to death (me)
  • will look down on him (you)
  • will mock him
  • will criticize him
  • will create a commotion: “Gentiles, do not eat on the same table with us!”.
  • will… etc

all of them without background story, even the “afraid” itself still can be questioned whether “afraid” is present or not within Peter’s mind.

Thank you once again for your response, Roymond.

At the risk of repeating stuff that may have already been discussed above … Romans 1:20 comes to mind, in that humanity at large is expected to have the capacity to discern moral basics. Also I just happened across Job 6:30b recently: “…Can my palate not discern evil?” I presume that many more scriptures could be noted that seem to presume humanity’s capacity for at least some moral responsibiity, even in the absence of Torah or any formally given codes.

Read or heard recently (I can’t remember where): “Is the church full of hypocrites?”

To which the wise reply came: “No. There’s always room for more.”

3 Likes

Yes, there are several reasons for that:

1. The meeting in Galatians 2:1-10 is said to be a private one, the Jerusalem Council was a public event.
  2. Paul tries to convince the Galatians that it is not necessary for gentiles to be circumcised. If the Jerusalem Council had already happened, Paul would have certainly mentioned its decision.
  3. It makes sense that Paul would visit Jerusalem before his first missionary journey to make sure he had the approval of the other apostles.
  4. If Paul was “converted” in 32/33, 14 years later would be 46/47, exactly before his first journey.

All in all, the meeting between Paul and the pillars happened before the Jerusalem council. Technically the Antioch incident could have happened after the Council. But then, again, why not mention its decision to silence his opponents in Galatia?

I’ll give a modern example. Imagine a primary school teacher X deciding not to eat anything during Ramadan, to not upset X’s Muslim students. Because of the teacher’s decision, some non-religious students start doing the same. The students who are Christians feel a high pressure to comply.

Then another teacher Y talks with teacher X. Y says X is not a Muslim, so X should stop acting (Greek: being a hypocrite) like one, because X’s decision is only causing more disunity among the students.

I hope this example shows you should try to forget any modern meaning attached to the word “hypocrite” and just read it as “actor”.

When we arrived at Jerusalem, the brothers and sisters received us warmly. The next day Paul and the rest of us went to see James, and all the elders were present. Paul greeted them and reported in detail what God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry. When they heard this, they praised God. Then they said to Paul: “You see, brother, how many thousands of Jews have believed, and all of them are zealous for the law. They have been informed that you teach all the Jews who live among the Gentiles to turn away from Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children or live according to our customs. What shall we do? They will certainly hear that you have come, so do what we tell you. There are four men with us who have made a vow. Take these men, join in their purification rites and pay their expenses, so that they can have their heads shaved. Then everyone will know there is no truth in these reports about you, but that you yourself are living in obedience to the law. As for the Gentile believers, we have written to them our decision that they should abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality.”

(Acts 21:17-25, NIV)

In Palestine there were many Jewish Christians, but most of them were very zealous for the law. These are the ones “of the circumcision”, the hoi ek peritomes. This is the group Peter feared. Both Peter and James tried to keep them in the fold.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response, Mervin.

Oh i see.
At first, i thought it’s more about Law according to their ethnic law.
So it is something like:
Jew’s law: circumcision, ceremonies, lamb sacrifice, etc
Gentile’s law: ceremonies, put statue/idol in the house, burn incense, etc
Christian’s law : go to church each sunday, Christmas/Passover ceremony, etc

So…
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes

I thought for Christian-believers, they don’t have to do that kind of bold anymore. So they are free to choose if they want to continue to do bold or not, but they don’t have to.

Anyway, thanks for the answer, Mervin.

Thank you for your reply, ivar.

Ok…I just accept that the Antioch incident happen before the Council. Thanks for the explanation.

I change my mind after I find an article in the internet about “hypocrite” and after I make an experiment described in my post for Roymond. Now I know that anyone can judge someone else as a hypocrite after single observation when there is inconsistency; because it depends on the individual when he see that inconsistent behaviour.

To me, Paul really believe with his own opinion.
At the real event, Paul see Peter separate himself when James group arrive.
Then inside his mind “aha… you move yourself because you’re afraid of James group
Later on Paul write the letter something like: “I swear, I’m not lying that Peter is afraid of James group”. :slight_smile:

Thanks once again, ivar.

1 Like

That’s correct. Their status as children of God is not contingent on any performance or observances.

Say rather now that … “they get to!” - at least with regard to things that involve loving God, loving neighbor, loving even their enemies. The redeemed child of God will want to increasingly grow in doing these things, not because they must, but because they want to. And that is evidence of their redemption and ongoing transformation - not the cause of it.

If going to church each Sunday helps them grow in these ways and cultivate all good loves, then they do it for that reason, not because they are obliged to on some celestial scoresheet. Somebody on the forum recently quoted Luther - something to the effect: “Love God … and then do as you will.” Which in effect means you can’t go wrong with your wants while you are busy loving God. For most of us, that’s probably a pretty dangerous attitude to adopt as we may end up justifying things for ourselves that we ought not - but only because our love for God is not yet as it should be. The main point still stands; that when we are truly loving God - everything else just flows from that.

1 Like

We covered this; Peter is presented as a champion of the Gospel, so he was preaching honestly; the trouble comes with his behavior.

It seems to me that you’re still using a modern meaning for “hypocrisy” rather than the meaning back then. In this case, that is imposing the test of intentionality, so if it wasn’t intentional then there’s no hypocrisy. But the ancient usage here isn’t about what was intended, it is about what happened, and since Peter was behaving differently from what he preached, he was “wearing a mask” whether or not he intended to.

Intentional misleading when preaching has already been ruled out. Paul’s judgment rests on just the discrepancy between Peter’s preaching and Peter’s later behavior; intention is not involved in either, only whether behavior matches preaching.

If you use the modern meaning, yes. But the ancient usage only rests on one thing: does behavior match preaching? If not, then Peter is wearing a mask, i.e. is being hypocritical. It isn’t about Peter’s character, i.e. is he always a hypocrite (the modern understanding), it’s only about whether his behavior diverged from his preaching in that instance.

The people there and the “James group” who arrive are already won for the Gospel or they wouldn’t be there, so that isn’t a factor – the only factor is whether Paul’s actions are contrary to the Gospel. Trying to “win James group” at this point would be actively makin a division where there isn’t one.

Read it in context: Paul is talking about the law given through Moses; that’s in the previous chapter and in what follows.

Again, context: Paul is talking to Gentiles who are being told they need to be circumcised. And no, the message isn’t "Jews = Gentiles, no distinction”; that depends on what’s the context. The message is “salvation is in Christ”.

The Jews have already been circumcised, so that doesn’t even make sense. But if anyone trusts circumcision rather than Christ yes, they are casting Christ aside. Christ remains the end of the Law, but they have rejected Him so they don’t get the benefit of that.

This is really strange; no one would choose circumcision unless they thought it was necessary! The Jews here have already been circumcised, so that’s not even an issue, and no Gentile is going to volunteer for that kind of extreme pain unless they had to.

Please read these verses in context. They aren’t propositions like in geometry that can be taken to stand alone, they are much more like wires in electricity where what wire is correct depends on the location in a circuit. In context “lets himself be circumcised” means rejecting Christ, and the Council’s decision was for people who are accepting Christ.

No, because Peter was dealing with people who knew the Gospel he preached and that it trumped parts of Peter’s culture, parts that Peter himself had already taught were trumped.

No, Peter’s reputation was that he preached the Gospel which declared all believers equal. The James group already knew that.

That doesn’t work: there was no aspect of Jewish culture involved. If it was a place where Jews could go, which obviously it was, then separating from one group of Christians to exclusively join another group was disrespectful by anyone’s measure.

That is the core of the problem: that view is contrary to the Gospel, besides being incorrect; there is no aspect of Jewish culture involved.

Which is ridiculous for multiple reasons.

1 Like

Nice illustration!

Not back then. The only question was whether there was inconsistent behavior: if there was, then there was a “mask” involved.

2 Likes

That phrasing is Augustine, but Luther said something with the same idea, “Sin boldly and pray [or believe; there’s more than one version] more boldly still”. It wasn’t advice saying go sin, it was saying that since you’re going to sin, don’t sweat it; live boldly and trust Christ.

Yep.

And almost certainly won’t be till we get to heaven!

1 Like

I think (maybe) the “do as you will” is meant for (A) the thing which in bold (such as ceremony, circumcision, go to church every sunday, christmas mass, etc), but not meant for (B)the things like a good deed to other human.

And the “danger” thing is maybe when “do as you will” is interpreted vice versa: it’s meant for B but not A. The result maybe something like this: a person diligently (A) go to church every sunday, do ceremonial, etc etc etc, but (B) he is lack of good action to other human.

Please cmiiw, Mervin.

I don’t understand your reply very well, and so can’t give a sure response.

I don’t think it would matter what category of activity it is (whether ceremonial or good works) as long as you’re loving God. The “Love of God” gives pretty universal coverage for everything of any category. But if we were (under the rubric of love) to prioritize ceremony as compared with kindness, the latter is the higher priority. If my ritual(s) in any way obstruct my love for my neighbor, then the former needs to give way for the sake of the latter.

1 Like

Yes, I admit that, Roymond.

Just now I ask ChatGpt to give me some NT bible verse which say about “hypocrisy”. ChatGpt give result some verses. I just take one verse for example:

Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean

To me, the verse I quoted is the same thing within my view using the modern meaning for “hypocrisy”. I’m unable to see that Peter is beautiful on the outside but ugly on the inside based on that single observation (separating himself from the Gentiles).

Mr.X preach blablabla (beautiful outside), but actually inside his mind he doesn’t hold blablabla (ugly inside).

So… when an observer see Mr.X act blablabla (match with his preaching), this doesn’t necessarily mean that Mr.X is not putting a mask.

On the other hand, when another observer see Mr. X fail to act blablabla (doesn’t match with his preaching), this doesn’t necessarily mean that Mr.X is putting a mask. And in this case, the modern view seems to say: it depends on the individual view. Some may say “Mr.X is putting a mask”, some may not.

(my version of won for the Gospel = The James group already accept that no distinction between Gentiles and Jews. The James group also already accept that Gentiles don’t need to be circumcised and the James group won’t mind to eat together with the Gentiles on the same table no matter what kind of food there as long as not from idol.)

I wonder, if Peter is sure that James group are already won for the Gospel, why Peter think James group will look down on him if they see he eat together with the Gentiles?

Please cmiiw.

Yes… I realize that :slight_smile:.
It’s because I thought that when Paul preach the verse in front of his audience, the audience is a mixed group (Jews and Gentiles) So I thought the paraphrase of that verse is something like this (not a verse):

if you let yourselves be circumcised thinking it’s necessary to gain salvation then Christ will be of no value to you at all. But if you want to be circumcised without thinking it’s necessary to gain salvation, then do as you will

So… I thought Paul’s preachinis the same for the Jews and the Gentiles, where for the Jews, it’s to circumcise his son.

I’m sorry as I’m still unable to understand your explanation, Roymond.

Paul is preaching in front of his audiences who are Gentiles and Jews:
I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law

Paraphrase-A: (every man = Gentiles and Jews who already accept Christ)
I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that means he rejects Christ, so he is obligated to obey the whole law

Paraphrase-B: (every man, Gentiles and Jews, who rejects Christ)
I declare to every man who rejects Christ, he is obligated to obey the whole law

Paraphrase-C: (every man = Gentile only who already accept Christ)
I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that means he rejects Christ, so he is obligated to obey the whole law

Paraphrase-D: (every man = Gentile only who reject Christ)
I declare to every man who rejects Christ, he is obligated to obey the whole law

My guess that you mean is #C (#C raise me a question “then what about the Jew who want to circumcise his son?” as Paul’s audience are from both Jews and Gentiles). But because I’m not sure, so I wonder which one is correct. Please cmiiw.

(continue below)

sorry… wrong “reply to”

I’m sorry. I mean, when “Love God” is interpreted as ceremonial and “Love your neighbour” is interpreted as good works to someone else.

“Love God … and then do as you will.”

If “do as you will” is misunderstood to mean “do sin as you will,” then the true meaning of “Love your neighbor” becomes diminished.

Thank you for you explanation, Mervin.

My version of “The James group already knew that” = “The James group are already won for the Gospel” = The James group already hold/believe that no distinction between Gentiles and Jews. The James group also hold that Gentiles don’t need to be circumcised and the James group won’t mind to eat together with the Gentiles on the same table no matter what kind of food there as long as not from idol.)

Please cmiiw.

Illustration:
Christians people consist of two different nations. Nation-A (Gentiles) and Nation-B (Jews).
A room with two tables, table-1 and table-2.
At first, nation-A and nation-B eat together in the same table-1. Table-2 is empty. Later on, another people from nation-B arrive and sit on table-2. Then everybody see Mr.X nation-B walk from his table-1 to table-2, joining nation-B on table-2.

I trust Mr.X is a good man so I’m unable to see that Mr.X is disrespectful when I see he join nation-B in table-2 even if I were there in table-1 as nation-A. To me, there’s nothing wrong when Mr.X move himself from my table then join table-2, not even I think that Mr.X walking away from my table = Mr.X is putting a mask.

But again, it maybe because I’m not a Gentile who live in that era. So I think, everybody who live in that era, even if everybody in that room trust Mr.X, only by seeing Mr.X walking from table-1 to table-2 (where the new arrival nation-B) = Mr.X is disrespectful.

Anyway, I’ve decided not to prolong the discussion about “hypocrisy”. Disregarding the modern view of “hypocrisy”, the verse provided by ChatGPT align with my view (beautiful outside, ugly inside). Thus, I’ll conclude that individual perspectives can vary when observing inconsistent behavior. Some may perceive the individual as a hypocrite, while others may not.

===============================================================

Now about “afraid” :slight_smile:.

From ivar quote of Mark Allan Powel, Introducing the New Testament , 331

representatives of James (brother of Jesus and leader of the Jerusalem church) encouraged the Jewish Christians in that community to observe Jewish dietary laws, even though this required them to separate themselves from the gentile Christians when the community shared meals together

I’d like to understand correctly from your two quotes above.
I hope you don’t mind to elaborate it to me.

I know… :smile:

Thank you for responding to me patiently, Roymond.

It was meant for everything. The statement was made in a homily to Christians and might concern just Christians living together, but I’m not sure. At any rate, Mervin is right; the idea is that as you love God your wants will more and more come to be what God wants.

The danger is that we are good at lying to ourselves including deceived ourselves about what it means to love God.

I think Augustine was implying that if we love God then we will grow to love our neighbor as ourselves. The interesting thing is that others have argued that as we work at loving our neighbors as ourselves we ill find ourselves loving God more.

Yes – it was about living with others, not about activities we’re supposed to do or think we should do.

You’re conflating two verses that don’t really go together. But in your comparison . . . I don’t think that “inside” and “outside” make a valid distinction since both are involved with Peter.

But from the text we have to assume they do mind, that they seem to think they are superior.

Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you.

We already covered this: Jews can keep following Jewish customs.

This is all actually simple: behave in a way contrary to the Gospel out of worry what others will think and you’ve put on a mask.
Everyone can keep following their own customs so long as those don’t conflict with the Gospel.

Obviously this was not the case – but we don’t know how Paul dealt with them; since he rebuked Peter, we should presume that he rebuked them as well – which we see him doing indirectly as he talks to Peter since they were doing the same wrong thing Peter was.

Paul isn’t giving some piece of biography, he’s using the instance with Peter to make a theological point. Trying to figure out all the details is pointless since the lesson is clear.

I don’t know how else to say it: you said what I quoted above, and I corrected your statement.

I don’t know why translations and people keep insisting on using the word “Gentile” when it’s found nowhere in the entire Bible (and neither is the word “Jew”). The real word is “ethnos” (and in the OT it’s “Goyim”) and it can refer to any nation, and the word “Judean” refers to people living in Judea that followed the traditional Israelite customs.