How Evolution Helped Me to Love Christ and His Creation

I'm convinced that the Body of Christ will be freer and more vibrant if we engage apparent challenges with courage, wisdom, and trust in the God from whom all truth comes.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://biologos.org/blogs/brad-kramer-the-evolving-evangelical/how-evolution-helped-me-to-love-christ-and-his-creation

Thank you for your blog. Two parts really stand out to me…

I have always had a lot of anxieties, doubts, and questions when it came to faith. Because of this inner skeptic…

The term I use for this trait is ‘holy skepticism’ – an attitude while on our truth-seeking journeys that helps to protect us from well-meaning but misguided people as well as from ‘wolves in sheep clothing’. Clearly this attitude has protected you. May all be so blessed!

… our faith is unnecessarily fragile if it is tied to all kinds of rigid doctrines and interpretations of the Bible that can’t be questioned and scrutinized.

This reminds me of the words of the Franciscan Richard Rohr who contrasts between ‘immature’ and ‘mature’ forms of religion. Immature religion is identified by how it separates people into groups based on ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ beliefs. So many people choose this because it appeals to our egos and requires so little to feel ‘righteous’. Mature religion requires true broken and contrite spirits which seek ‘Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will Be Done’ as Jesus so clearly modeled. No, not so appealing nor easy. We each get to choose but it is clear which version of religion is preferred.

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. It fills me with hope. May God continue to bless you.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.