Highschooler discovers a planet during internship

Here’s some inspiration for all the young scientists out there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/01/10/teenager-discovered-new-planet-third-day-his-nasa-internship/?fbclid=IwAR133KwM6sZi2JCTI_Bz9pwCr9xRP6rd0KSwl9ugsGIPU50dE2La3P5-l_c&utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Most people sit through countless orientations on the first few days of their job, but one teen discovered a planet — on his third day.

Wolf Cukier, 17, of Scarsdale, N.Y., had wrapped up his junior year of high school when he headed off to intern in the summer at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., where he discovered a planet orbiting two stars.

6 Likes

That’s pretty amazing. Plus, orbiting two stars? Sounds like Tatooine. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m not sure if you’ve seen it yet. However, there is actually a follow-up report in which NASA explain how they found a spaceport on the planet. One scientist, Ben, is quoted as saying:

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.”

On a more serious note, good article. Thanks for sharing, @Christy.

1 Like

Hey, a life form is a life form. :smiley:

1 Like

So impressive! Stories like this make me proud of our young people. Nice job to that young man!!

A somewhat similar phenomenon: I’m 16 and in 10th grade, and am studying fossil mollusks, at present I am heading in the direction of the first monograph on the Waccamaw Formation, which will describe about 250 new species, out of the 745 I have found from a single quarry. For reference, that is about the same number of species as all of the birds that regularly occur in the US.

5 Likes

That a lot of mollusks! Congrats on your research.