Hiding In Plain Sight: Translating Deuteronomy 33

Pax Christi everybody!

I recently saw the second episode of The Bible’s Buried Secrets, and in it, Dr. Francesca claims that we can find an edited-out Asherah reference at God’s side in Deuteronomy 33; is this accurate?

“The Bible’s Buried Secrets” was a single two-hour episode of PBS/Nova. Are you confusing it with something else?

1 Like

Editing my post after skimming a few more things. The particular verse is Deuteronomy 33:2 where something is at the right hand of Yahweh, and most translations do something like:

• a fiery law
  • flaming fire
  • flashing lightning

Indeed, here is a more recent discussion over what the word actually means (send me a PM if you want a copy of any of these):

Divine Fire in Deuteronomy 33:2

Now as for Asherah, where does that come from?

Asherah_Replaced

Here is a webpage discussing Asherah in general that is worth reading through:

https://bibleinterp.arizona.edu/articles/2008/12/Hadley_Asherah

Finally, I came across the paper where that chart is from that explicitly discusses some of Dr Stavrakopoulou’s claims. I’m hesitant to post it since I don’t know anything about the author or the journal, so take it with a grain of salt:

The Hebrew Goddess Asherah in the Greek Septuagint

Maybe someone can chime in with a broader literature discussion on the topic or some specific references from the original claim of the author.

2 Likes

I think there were two Bible’s Buried Secrets, and one of them was a three part series.

Yeahhhhh. Her story proliferates entities unnecessarily.

1 Like

Do you have a link please?

1 Like

Apparently those secrets really are buried…

1 Like

Sorry about the wait!

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.