Help with finding a creation-related scripture?

I have been searching for a particular part of scripture that ways something like “God doesn’t despise anything that he has created” Is anyone familiar with it and know where it is? I think it might be in the Psalms, but I haven’t been able to find it (and it might only exist in my head). It came up in a discussion I was having with an acquaintance about whether God purposely destroyed the dinosaurs (not the topic I came here to discuss).

Thanks in advance!

I hope you find one. If that were true one might hope His followers could also reign back their despising of what they suppose is unpleasing to God in terms of sexual orientation, political affiliation or faith status.

3 Likes

Not sure, but the Book of Common Prayer has this prayer:

Almighty and eternal God,
you hate nothing you have made
and you forgive the sins of those who are penitent.
Create in us new and contrite hearts
that we truly repent of our sins,
acknowledge our wretchedness,
and obtain perfect forgiveness from you,
the God of all mercy;
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever.

It is probably based on some scripture.

4 Likes

Thanks! It’s possible that the reason I can’t find the exact scripture I’m looking for is because it wasn’t there in the form I expected it to be in.

1 Like

Maybe so. btw, God didn’t destroy the dinosaurs, an asteroid did them in. It also led to the demise of marine reptiles and pterodactyls. Why not visit a natural history museum and see some of the wonders of creation?

Thanks!

I am on the side of science when it comes to dinosaurs and similar debates.
This, or a similar quote, came up in a discussion with my h.s. age daughters who have a friend who is not yet convinced about evolution. I want to use this idea again in a blog post about junk DNA, but I need to i.d. its source.

It appears that the verse probably that the BCP took this from was Wisdom 11:24, which says:

You love everything that exists. You despise nothing that you have made. If you hated it, you wouldn’t have created it.

Of note, Protestants do not have this book in their Bible (only Catholics, I believe).

4 Likes

Anglicans have this book in the Apocrypha section of the Bible. These books may be read in church but are never used for doctrine. When they are read in church the lector never refers to them as the “word of God.”

Catholics and Eastern Orthodox consider these books to be scriptural and are called “deuterocanonical.” The Oriental Orthodox probably do also.

Good detective work, btw.

5 Likes

Ah thanks for that, I didn’t know this tidbit!

2 Likes

Thank you for tracking this down!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.