Hello Folks (Introduction)

Hello. I am an atheist who is putting his foot in the water here. For the most part, I’m just stopping by to see what this forum is about.

FWIW, I respect Christianity a ton. I have found the Gospels–in particular–to contain a unique and inspiring morality, the likes of which few other religions or intellectually oriented philosophies possess.

On the whole, I find fundamentalism to be unreasonable, unrealistic, and misguided. (Of course I could be wrong about that, but that is my honest impression of it.) I sometimes think that I would agree more with Christians if they treated the “red letter” portions of the Bible as central to their beliefs… and treated everything else as footnotes… or perhaps… “supporting arguments.”

I was raised Catholic. But around the age of twelve, I began to consider the idea of a godless universe to be most plausible. Philosophically speaking, I’m your typical naturalist/materialist. But I’d like to think I’m not devoid of a spiritual dimension. Last year, I regularly attended a small Quakers meeting for around six months. I don’t consider myself a Quaker or anything, but (if I might be allowed to express an opinion on it) Quakerism seems to be one of the most authentic and morally committed modes of religious thought I’ve encountered.

So, anyway… hello everyone. Nice to meet you all.

9 Likes

Hi Dillon. When I first came here and tried to explain my eccentric form of faith, someone suggested I might be interested in a quakers group who don’t insist on a deity. If I have that wrong perhaps someone will clarify.

2 Likes

Whilst I like to believe there is a supernatural core behind the Bible (put it this way, something big had to happen to cause a Pharisee who persecuted Christians to join the enemy), I have flirted with agnosticism in the past (I find it highly arrogant to suggest that you know you are correct), and believe that anyone who follows the teachings of the gospels, irrespective of their own personal beliefs is a Christian.

2 Likes

Hi, Dillon! Welcome to the forum, and it is nice to meet you also. While this is a Christian forum, there are people here from many different backgrounds within Christianity, as well as agnostics and atheists. I’ve found it a challenging and thoughtful place to have gracious discussions, and I hope you will as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.