Has anyone tried the OpenAI ChatGPT?

I can imagine a self-sustaining high tech bot that can do all of those things. Would it be conscious?

Presumably, if it is not programmed to say that it is, and it takes it upon itself to make the assertion, then it could be said, “Houston we have a problem.”

I don’t see how that follows, programmed or otherwise.

For me I don’t see what is the impossibility if the program takes it upon itself to make the claim, but it would apparently signal an end times event or epic singularity.

1 Like
  • Two fundamental differences between a paramecium and a self-sustaining high tech bot, the paramecium is “alive”, the bot is not; and the enemies of a paramecium are–so I hear–amoebae and Didinium.
    • Being a Concrete Animate thing is as different from a moving Concrete Inanimate thing as Pinocchio the Puppet and Pinocchio the Little Boy.
    • Last I heard, amoebae and Dinium don’t “eat” bots.
  • Personally, I’ve settled on “Paramecia are conscious” and “to be conscious requires life.”

I can concur with paramecium being ‘animate’, but the only difference really is the biological ‘technology’. It is not beyond the realm of imagination that a functioning synthetic facsimile could could be engineered using molecular manipulation. Would that intrinsically and necessarily impart consciousness to the ‘device’?

2 Likes

We already have nanobots – ‘biological’ ones would be additional fodder for movies that @SkovandOfMitaze likes. ; - )

1 Like

In my opinion, no.

Anthony Aguirre - Gap Between Non-Life and Life [4:52]

Paul Davies - Gap Between Non-Life and Life [10:48]

Why is Consciousness Baffling? | Episode 401 | Closer To Truth [26:46]

• The day that someone can hypnotize a bot or that a bot can undergo the same thing as a Near-Death-Experience, I’d reconsider my position. Until then, I’ll stick with my current opinion: Only Concrete living things can experience consciousness and “Life” continues after the death of flesh and body.
  • Our God is a Living God. The Cosmos’ Non-living Stuff has no consciousness, and the notion of a Universal Consciousness in all Mass is false. And, without God, it’s “cats all the way down” or … nothing.

It seems to me that if a paramecium could be fabricated synthetically to be identical to the natural beasty, you would be compelled still call it living (why not, especially if it were indistinguishable from a natural one) and you would also be compelled to say molecular manipulation somehow instilled ‘consciousness’?

“If” is the operative word, isn’t it. The paramecium is the simplest one-celled protist that I am slightly familiar with: if it can’t be done, what are the odds of reaching the goal fabricating a mult-celled living creature? I say: “zilch”.

(I don’t know how it would be jump- or kick-started – maybe a little ATP injection or a nano-defibrillator. ; - )

Try breathing on it. :rofl:

The thought experiment postulates it can be done (and we are not talking about multi-celled critters).

Your breath, maybe. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Short of there being a disease, often eating more is a good way to gain weight. Not sure if it’s your thing, but my dad was also losing a lot of weight and muscle mass and what started really helping him was adding protein powered to muffins and pancakes he made, and even smoothies. He also bought liquid aminos (even Walmart sells them ) and adding it to soups and stuff. He ended up gaining back around 20 pounds over the year. Resistance bands also work well. They even have some that are bodybuilder level strengths. But they are lightweight and can be an easily carried around to a park or whatever. Assuming it’s safe for you. A nutritionist , especially a certified dietician, will know way more about food than a medical doctor.

1 Like

I’m still waiting for a HR Giger art style influenced film with Cronenbergian biomechanical horror. Something like Species X Ex Machina with nanos xd. One of the tattoos I have planned for my side is inspired by “ the spell II” by Giger and Menace from Queen’s Blade. Or maybe better understood as Pandora from Psycho Goreman but designed by someone like Sorayama. But it’s down the road a while.

Check this out:

What books of Craig Keener have you learned?

As an AI language model, I have been trained on a diverse range of texts and information, including books by Craig Keener. Some of the books by Keener that I am familiar with include:

“Miracles: The Credibility of the New Testament Accounts”
“A Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew”
“The Historical Jesus of the Gospels”
“Gospel of John: A Commentary”
“Spirit Hermeneutics: Reading the Bible in the Light of Pentecost”
These are just a few of the many books that Craig Keener has written, and I have been trained on information from many of his works.

Can you summarize his book Spirit Hermeneutics?

“Spirit Hermeneutics: Reading the Bible in the Light of Pentecost” is a book by Craig Keener that explores the role of the Holy Spirit in interpreting the Bible. In the book, Keener argues that the Holy Spirit is not only a revealer of truth, but also a guide in the interpretation of the truth. He suggests that the Holy Spirit’s role in interpretation is often neglected in modern biblical scholarship, and that this has led to a fragmentation of the church and a lack of consensus on key issues.

Keener explores the biblical and historical evidence for the Holy Spirit’s role in interpretation and argues that the Spirit should be considered an essential source of guidance for Christians who seek to understand the Bible. He also highlights the significance of the Pentecost event, in which the Holy Spirit descended upon the apostles, as a key moment in the history of the church and the establishment of the biblical canon.

In “Spirit Hermeneutics,” Keener emphasizes the importance of a Spirit-led approach to biblical interpretation and offers practical insights for how Christians can cultivate a deeper reliance on the Holy Spirit in their own interpretation of scripture. The book is a valuable resource for scholars, pastors, and laypeople interested in the role of the Holy Spirit in biblical interpretation and the history of the church.

1 Like

That’s all pretty much a foreign language to me. And the only tats I have are pretty minuscule that I got on each hand for retargeting the beam after my first radiation therapy for DuPuytren’s contracture (aka “Vikings’ disease”). If you look real closely, one is a butterfly and the other is a rose :slightly_smiling_face: (the larger and less defined one on the right at about 5:20 o’clock from the little one is pencil lead from kindergarten or first grade ; - ):

1 Like

ChatGPT can do book reviews as well!!

I had been meaning to write a review of this book for quite awhile which I’d put on my top 10 list. The audio version is excellent as it is read by a husband and wife team of narrators. Mark and his wife Debbie wrote it together, so the audio version is like listening to a personal conversation on faith and psychology.

@Kendel as a librarian, I think you will blown away by this, and this book is from the person I had written to you about who had been abused by his father.

Are you familiar with Mark Laaser’s The Seven Desires of Every Heart?

Yes, I’m familiar with Mark Laaser’s book, “The Seven Desires of Every Heart.” It is a popular book that explores the seven core desires that are common to all people and examines how these desires shape our lives, relationships, and spiritual journey. According to Laaser, the seven desires are for security, significance, intimacy, peace, joy, purpose, and fulfillment. He argues that when these desires are not met in a healthy and satisfying way, they can lead to destructive behavior and addictions. The book provides insights and guidance for finding fulfillment and satisfaction in life through living a life grounded in faith and spirituality.

Can you write a review of this book?

Sure, here’s a review of “The Seven Desires of Every Heart” by Mark Laaser:

This book provides a unique and insightful look into the seven core desires that drive human behavior. Laaser argues that these desires are common to all people and that they shape our lives, relationships, and spiritual journeys. He explains that when these desires are not met in healthy and satisfying ways, they can lead to destructive behavior and addictions.

One of the strengths of the book is the way Laaser ties together the psychological and spiritual aspects of our desires. He provides a clear understanding of why we have these desires, and how they can lead us to a fulfilling and meaningful life when met in a healthy way. The book is well-written, easy to understand, and filled with practical examples and case studies.

Another strength of the book is the focus on faith and spirituality. Laaser offers a faith-based perspective on the seven desires and how they can be met through a relationship with God. He provides guidance for finding fulfillment and satisfaction in life through a spiritual journey.

Overall, “The Seven Desires of Every Heart” is an excellent book for anyone looking to better understand the desires that drive their behavior and relationships. It provides a unique and insightful look into the connection between our desires, spirituality, and fulfillment in life. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to deepen their understanding of themselves and their relationships with others.

In the the book, does Mark talk about the abuse he experienced from his father?

Yes, Mark Laaser does discuss his own experiences with abuse in his book “The Seven Desires of Every Heart.” Laaser writes about the trauma and pain he experienced as a result of physical and emotional abuse from his father, and how it affected him in later life. He also writes about the healing and growth he experienced through therapy and faith, and how these experiences influenced his work as a therapist and author. Laaser’s personal story adds a depth of understanding and empathy to the themes of the book, and provides a powerful message of hope for those who have experienced abuse or trauma.

Can you comment on the audiobook?

As an AI language model, I do not have the ability to listen to audiobooks, so I cannot provide a first-hand review of the audiobook version of “The Seven Desires of Every Heart.” However, it’s worth noting that many people enjoy audiobooks as an alternative to reading a printed book. Listening to an audiobook can be a convenient and engaging way to experience a book, especially while doing other tasks or while commuting.

The quality of an audiobook is largely dependent on the narrator, and the narrator of the audiobook version of “The Seven Desires of Every Heart” could greatly impact the listener’s experience. A skilled narrator can bring the book to life and enhance the listener’s understanding and enjoyment of the book.

If you are interested in the audiobook version of “The Seven Desires of Every Heart,” I would recommend checking online reviews and listening to sample audio clips to get a sense of the narrator’s style and performance before making a purchase.

1 Like

This is wild! How far do you want to go? Or as it was said in Boondocks Saints:

“The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?”

Regarding ChatGPT, something I just found: