Good General Bible Study

@Homeschool_Forum I am wondering if any other parents out there have recommendations for a good basic Bible study for my middle school son? I am not looking for something that specially talks about science and faith, but just a good general, faith building Bible study. I have tried some others with him, but they have brought up the YEC perspective and that just brings confusion back. I am asking, because he is asking for one. Thank you for your help!

Hi Melody- do you mean a study Bible that has commentary along side the Biblical text or a smaller work that may be topical or based upon a specific book of the Bible?

The second. A companion book that is topical. Like a daily devotional.

I don’t know if this is exactly what you’re looking for, but here are three great books on the Bible that I’ve read (or am reading) recently:

What is the Bible? by Rob Bell

Inspired by Rachel Held Evans

Things Hidden: Scripture as Spirituality by Richard Rohr (the chunkiest of the three, but a good read nonetheless)

None of these are devotionals, per se, but can easily be read in small doses, and have been very faith-building (and faith-repairing) for me. I wish I would have read all three of them in high school.

You don’t need to worry about encountering YEC ideas in any of these books, trust me.

1 Like

My wife has used the Experiencing God for teens or youth that she liked. I don’t remember anything YEC with it, sort of a classic.
https://www.lifeway.com/en/product/experiencing-god-student-edition-member-book-leader-guide-revised-P005663359?CMPID=Adwords-PLA-005663359&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu9Gwvu-c3AIVBHZeCh2cmQvoEAQYCSABEgIF1PD_BwE&s_kwcid=AL!4443!3!45216055917!!!g!82249253157!&ef_id=WuYzngAABcXpsmLx:2018071

I see where you can download a sample of the student book if you drill down a bit

2 Likes

Thank you for the replies! I will look into all of these! Brad, I think some of those might be great for me to read as well!

Oh, and “chunky” books don’t seem to be an issue for him. He is 11 and is reading Moby Dick right now, just for fun. =)

If he can handle Moby Dick you might want to try one of the simpler Systemic Theology books. Basic Theology by Ryrie is fairly simple. At least compared to some of the others that I have seen. And it is divided into small chunks.

1 Like

I didn’t know there were so many good non YEC books. I’ll look into them. My 10 year old son liked Priscilla Schirer’s The Prince Warriors series, and we’re thinking about her devotional “Unseen”. I am sure she would be YEC, but I don’t know if she deals with things like that or not.

1 Like

This isn’t a Bible study, so much as a book about how to study the Bible (and how not to) I plan to read it with my junior high student. I think it is especially helpful for people who grow up in evangelical environments because it examines many of the inconsistent approaches we use when trying to get meaning out of the Bible and apply it to life. It is written at a lay-level.

3 Likes